• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

M: Photoshop 21.1.3 freezes when using Adjustments on macOS (Rulers enabled)

Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I thought that the problem when using intensity/contrast in adjustments (it is extremly slow to the point I think the computer freezes) was solved by restoring preferences and restoring warning messages, but as it turns out the problem is still there! Turning of the graphic card processor helps maybe a little (one or two times) but then there are other issues such as I can't use the filter "lightning effects". The problem is there wether I work on a big or small file. The only thing I can upgrade on the computer is to the OS Catalina.

Computer :  OS Mojave 10.14.6, iMac (Retina 5K, 27, 2019), processor Intel Core i9, 32 GB DDR4 Ram, 

Radeon Pro 580X 8GB.

Please need help!

/Jan

{Moderator note: PS-48654

Thread title edited}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020
Hi all,

Apologies for the frustrating freeze with some Photoshop adjustments: We've added this issue to Photoshop's known issues documentation.

The current workarounds that we’re aware of are:
  • Disable Rulers (CMD+R on Mac, Ctrl+R on Win), or
  • Move the Adjustment dialog outside of Photoshop’s workspace/interface before touching any sliders.
Let us know how this goes.

We have been able to reproduce the freeze internally and the engineering team is currently investigating a fix.
Stay tuned to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Hi All,

We are happy to announce the release of  Photoshop 21.2.

This update includes the fix for Photoshop 21.1.3: Hue Saturation dialog not responsive

Here's a list of fixed issues in this release: Bug fixes

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected and share your feedback with us.

Regards,
Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020
ADOBE released an upgrade today that fixed this problem. I tested it and it works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 152 Replies 152
Adobe Employee ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry about the experience with Photoshop. You can try disabling Rulers by going to the View menu and check if the issue persists.

Screenshot_17.png

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Illustrator crashes while adjusting a blend with 4-5 variations of colour contained in a rectangle.

Repeatable crash every time... I ended up producing the blend with Affinity Designer.

Crash reports were sent to Apple and Adobe... 3 times.

Photoshop hangs when I attempt to adjust the brightness and or contrast on a 6mb JPG.

The application becomes unresponsive and requires a force quit when this happens.

I've restarted My iMac several times and found 19 folders in my trash "Recovered Files" all Adobe created folders.

I purchased one month subscription today... fresh install of Creative Cloud... on a fresh install of Mac OS Catalina 10.15.4.

After using Affinity software for 6 months I've been forced back to Adobe to update old files generated in Creative Cloud.

I have yet to produce or complete a single billable project due to constant crashes and application hangs.

Adobe... I'm out when the month sub is finished... back to working software... Affinity

{Thread title edited by moderator}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry about the experience Photoshop while adjusting the brightness and contrast. Would you mind sharing the version of Photoshop you are using?

Please add Photoshop to the Accessibility list for macOS (if not done already) by going to the System Preferences for your Mac, then Security and Privacy and then selecting the Privacy tab. You can try disabling the Graphics Processor from Photoshop by going to Preferences, then Performance. Once done, quit and relaunch to test if it helps. 

You can also try to reset the preferences of Photoshop using the steps mentioned here: https://adobe.ly/2Qzc0K3

Please backup your settings prior to resetting the preferences. You can check: https://adobe.ly/2vNz6FG

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also happens with trying to use color balance panel in PS.   Can anyone report if this worked for them?  I rolled back to previous Photoshop and the issue is gone, but lost my workspaces and some brush presets in the process.    Don't want to update until there is a known fix or Adobe fixes this problem with an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Michael,

Sorry about this one: We have been able to reproduce the freeze and the engineering team is currently investigating a fix.

Current workarounds that we’re aware of:
  • Move the Adjustment dialog outside of Photoshop’s workspace/interface before touching any sliders.
Let us know how this goes for you.

Regards,
Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the EXACT same issues. I hope they can get this bug fixed. So many of us make a living from our photoshop work and the constant crashing is overwhelming. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

21st version have all problems since the launch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried to reset preferences https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I did and it worked for a few times, then the app was hanging again.. I have a ton of work to do and have to wait until this thing is fixed, again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also having the same issue but with any adjustment slider (currently frozen trying to use Color Balance)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Apologies for the frustrating freeze with some Photoshop adjustments: We've added this issue to Photoshop's known issues documentation.

The current workarounds that we’re aware of are:
Let us know how this goes.

We have been able to reproduce the freeze internally and the engineering team is currently investigating a fix.
Stay tuned to this thread or the known issues documentation for updates. 

Regards,
PG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, when I'm using hue/ saturation in Photoshop it freezes. I have to quit the programme in order to get back to the file I was working on. Has anyone else experienced this and if so are can it be rectified?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, please check the exact version of Ps you are using in help>system info, it should be something like 21.1.3 for Ps CC 2020, for instance. please tell us if you are on a PC/a Mac, the OS version, the type of document, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are on 21.1.3, try this: 

The team has been able to reproduce the freeze and the engineering team is currently investigating a fix.

Current workarounds that they’re aware of:
  • Disable Rulers (CMD+R on Mac, Ctrl+R on Win), or by going to the View menu.
  • Or move the Adjustment dialog outside of Photoshop’s workspace/interface before touching any sliders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm using an iMac 2019/ OS 10.15.4 using Ps 2020. I'm working on a standard photoshop document. Hope that's of some help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The freezing issue seems to have just appeared in version 21.1.3.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/with-hue-saturation-command-photoshop-crash-y...

In Photoshop, click Help > System Info and check your version of Photoshop in the first line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm using 21.1.3 - is this a glitch that Adobe are try to resolve? In the meantime I'll try your suggested work arounds. Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2020 May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>> is this a glitch that Adobe are try to resolve? 

Yes. It's a known issue. Adobe say they are working on a fix.

Current workarounds that Adobe is aware of:

• Move the Adjustment dialog outside of Photoshop's workspace/interface before touching any sliders.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop-21-1-3-hue-saturation-dialog-box-bu...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disabling rulers worked for me. Thanks for the workaround. Another side effect I noticed was that no previews were showing in the previously opened files screen nor did they show up in recent files from the top menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem started with last PS update. This worked as a tempary work around. Turn rulers off and keep dialog to side of image.

Sure the issue will be resoulved soon.

Thanks for the fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, this new version of Photoshop (21.1.3) is literally the worst. The program freezes with the simplest operations. The solution is to force quit, trash preferences, and then do the whole thing over again. I can't do my job. I can't believe Adobe rolled this mess out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

exactly the same problem here, working with the latest versions of Mac Os and PS, as soon as I use the sliders to ajust the colrors or brightness, contrast etc. everything freezes. Tried to reinstall, but no change, so going back to the older version of PS, hope that will help. Rather disturbing as I have a lot of work to get done and this seems to be a killer bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried hiding the rulers? Should work then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I pay a fortune for this software compared to what it used to cost. Now this software dosen't work correctly after an update. Fix it fast, will yeah? How about next time before you put out and update you test it first. Also think about giving a refund or a credit when you [removed] it up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines