• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mac OS: Saving in hidden (unsearchable) folders

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While troubleshooting a Mac issue, Apple had me change desktop in a way that made it difficult to find screenshots after taking them. I found that I could 'grab' image of screenshot from lower RH corner of desktop as it is being saved, and drag to Photoshop to open (and edit, crop, process etc).

I also found that after processing, image saved by default to a hidden folder that was not searchable by Finder or Spotlight - making it even harder to find screenshots. The hidden folder is buried several layers of folders deep in OS and not supposed to have JPEGs and PNGs buried in it. That I can't search and remove.

Best guess is this is a potential issue with all CS software, and not just an Adobe thing, but more likely to occur in Photoshop, where user might edit screenshot.

Apple blames Adobe for being able to save images to an unsearchable folder (that they apparently use as a temporary placeholder in processing screenshot image), and me for saving it there.

I blame Apple for allowing users to drag something that is apparently in an unsearchable folder to open in Photoshop and/or allowing it to save to that folder in the first place.

Not an issue if I pay attention where I am saving and navigate, and I've since "fixed" desktop so I don't have to 'grab' screenshot as before, but someone else might run into this, and I can still reproduce problem if needed for troubleshooting.

This needs to be discussed with Apple, Mac OS should not allow apps to "see" these hidden folders where files become unsearchable. Probably shouldn't allow PS to open image the way I did. And shouldn't be blaming Adobe.

janee_0-1669198674039.jpeg

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Doug Millhoff 

This is a macOS issue, not an Adobe issue.

I changed the location for my screenshots to a folder in Pictures. See the help file from Apple. Or call Apple back. They know how to change the location.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

"Where to find screenshots

"By default, screenshots save to your desktop with the name ”Screen Shot [date] at [time].png.”

"In macOS Mojave or later, you can change the default location of saved screenshots from the Options menu in the Screenshot app. You can also drag the thumbnail to a folder or document."

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple will not support Mojave on my model, problem in Monterey. Problem was that I was being forced to grab image before it saved to desktop. 

Mac OS should not allow this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would agree with @jane-e  and add to this - I never grab the temporary screen grab before its saved to my desktop (my default location). I then open that saved screenshot in PS without any further issues.

Grabbing the previewed screen shot is by design a temp file that you can delete before its saved to a searchable location.

A work around is to click to open the preview, copy, then paste into PS and then delete the temp screenshot.

Working the way you are going now is sketchy at best and adding more steps on the backend than changing the input at the front.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was forced into 'sketchy' situation by Apple troubleshooting (they closed case unresolved), had to fix it myself.

Again, it is my position that Mac OS should not even allow this to happen in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It shouldn't. Without knowing exactly Apple did your OS setup, I'd almost recommend doing a fresh install of the OS and software to get back to basics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines