Exit

Mac Pro 2019 + dual AMD Radeon Pro Vega II Duo not working

Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

probably not the most common problem:

Last week I installed a second AMD Radeon Pro Vega II Duo in my Mac Pro. Since then Ps 2021 isn't working if GPU support is turned on. It crashes when opening files. Even if it's turned off Ps is kinda unstable, crashes frequently and sometimes doesn't show selections.

InDesign 2021 crashes on startup. But InDesign 2020 works...

Mac Pro 2019

11.4 (20F71)

3,2 Ghz 16-Core Intel Xeon

224GB RAM

2x AMD Radeon Pro Vega II Duo

Has anyone encountered a similar problem? Getting rid of the second card is no option. I need the second dual GPU for Cinema 4D. After Effects, Premiere Pro and Illustrator are working...

I already spoke to the Adobe customer support...they couldn't help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

@-motiondesigner try reconnecting your main monitor to the other GPU. I've seen that work but thats an old solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This page deals with Troubleshooting GPU specifically regarding two graphics cards.

Photoshop can only use one GPU this should help resolve.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html#Troubleshoot 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Thanks, for the suggestion. We worked through that site already, sorry, forgot to mention. Unfortunately on the Mac Pro you can't deactivate GPUs. One would have to physically remove the card. And with the single Vega II Duo Ps was working, which is weird, because that's already two GPUs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have this same problem, like many other apple and adobe things – total garbage 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have the same problem. Neither Adobe nor Apple are able to help. Maybe here in the Forums? Is anyone at Adobe reading this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a Mac Pro with one Vega II Duo: Ps works. And another one with two Vega II Duos: Ps doesn't work there. This is currently the most capable Mac with 4 GPUs and Ps can't use any of them. It's absurd. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

welcome to the world of "professional" software and hardware. they don't care about us only ipad users

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop doesn't work well with two graphic cards.

This offers some solutions:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html#multiple-gpus 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But it works on the machine with two (identical) graphics cards. It doesn't work on the machine with 4 (identical) graphics cards. 

We've read that. Unfortunately it was no help. Automatic Graphics switching for example doesn't exist on the Mac Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@-motiondesigner try reconnecting your main monitor to the other GPU. I've seen that work but thats an old solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG. That DID work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to see the old tricks still have some value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually this works. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot, Kevin! Worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2022 Jun 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh My God!!! I can't believe that worked! I've been struggling for over a year and neither apple support not adobe support could figure out a solution for the problem to help!!

Thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines