(macOS) Photoshop Hand Tool (Spacebar) no shortcut

New Here ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated photoshop this weekend. On Mac.

Its not allowing me to sert the HAND TOOL's showrtcut to SPACEBAR which is what I've used for years.

Its effecting my workflow. The Keyboard Shortcuts menu also DOESN'T allow me to set it to SPACEBAR?

Is there any way of fixing this and setting it back to normality??

Many thanks 

{Thread title updated by moderator}

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. We're here to help. I'll need more information to help you with this.

What version of Photoshop & the operating system are you working on? Is your Photoshop language in English or any other language?

Ensure there are no stale/damaged preferences of Photoshop.

• Go to the location of the preference folder mentioned below and rename it to backup. (https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html)
  • macOS: Hold down the Option key in the Finder when using the Go menu. The library will appear below the current user's home directory.
  • Library > Preferences > Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings
  • Rename the Adobe Photoshop folder by adding a .old at the end. (Adobe Photoshop 2022 > Rename > Adobe Photoshop 2022. old)

This will give a fresh start to Photoshop as a fresh install.

Let me know if it helps.

Thanks!

Sameer K

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear you are having trouble toggling the Hand Tool when pressing and holding Spacebar.

Pressing and holding the Spacebar to switch from the current tool (like Move Tool, Selection Tool, Brush Tool) is a Photoshop default.  (As far as I'm aware, it's a Tool Panel command that users cannot edit.)

If you reset your preferences, this should restore this behavior.  Be sure to back up your preferences before doing this.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was about to say: I use this spacebar shortcut all the time (but I'm on Windows). It's almost universal; apps like After Effects and Illustrator have it, too.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another suggestion is to go to Mac System Preferences and make sure Photoshop is added to the Security and Privacy/Full Disk Access list

Kevin Stohlmeyer
Adobe Community Expert/Adobe Certified Instructor

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Its worth noting that it also is not working in Illustrator either. Its totally unresponsive to my input of the space bar. This is a head scratcher.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines