• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Major image corruption on screen when using Photoshop 23.5.0 with M1 MacBookPro/Monterey

Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2022 Aug 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating to Photoshop 23.5.0, the app is barely useable.  When moving photo images on the screen, and especially when making selections, many large blocks of the screen go blank or flash with what looks like image corruption.

Here's my setup:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro18,2

Chip: Apple M1 Max

Total Number of Cores: 10 (8 performance and 2 efficiency)

Memory: 32 GB

MacOS Monterey 12.5.1 (21G83)

Plugged into Apple Studio Display

The files I'm working with aren't anything unique, just pictures taken with a Canon Rebel T2i.  Small sized screen recording attached to show you what I'm seeing.  The app is basically unuseable like this.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Hi @CoryShubert.  I appreciate your help.  The first thing I tried was:

>Go to Preferences > Performance... and uncheck Multithreaded Compositing - and restart Photoshop. Does the problem persist? 

After changing this preference and restarting Photoshop, the issue went away.  I then tried re-enabling the preference and restarting Photoshop.  The issue no longer persists even after re-enabling the preference.  This being the case, I don't think it makes sense to run any more tests. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Have the same issue .. model mac studio , chip m1 max, macos monterey 12.5.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Go to the Preferences for Photoshop, then Performance and uncheck the option to Use Graphics Processor. Also, check the option for Legacy Compositing and relaunch Photoshop to check if issue persists.

Let us know how you get along

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There appear to be a lot of GPU / compositing issues with this release. I have the same thing happening on a Windows system with an Nvidia GPU. Really hope that we see an update soon to patch whatever is going on because "turn off your GPU" is not a useful solution when so many features in Photoshop use it to work properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can do this, but why?  I'd like to use the power of the GPU.  This worked fine before this release.  Or are you just trying to narrow it down?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @dhuntsin sorry to hear this. A couple things to try: Roll back to the previous version of Ps, does it work as expected?

Go to Preferences > Performance... and uncheck Multithreaded Compositing - and restart Photoshop. Does the problem persist? 

Go to Preferences > Performance... click Advanced Settings... and uncheck "GPU Compositing" - then restart Photoshop. Does the problem still occur? 

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2022 Sep 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Corey,

I have what appears to be the same problem with PS 23.5 on a Windows 11 platform.  I unchecked Multithreaded Compositig and restarted PS.  I didn't see an soption for "GPU Copositing" either under Performance or Performane>Advanced Settings. (Could this perhaps be the "Use Graphics Process" option on a Windows platform?  On the assumption that this was the case, I also unchecked "Use Graphics Processor".) I restarted PS and then opened a large (2.35 GB) psb file.  It took 11 minutes to open the file and even then the tools were not active.  I waited another 5 minutes before opening the Windows Task Manager.  The file was unresponsive, so I ended the file and PS.  By comparison, PS 23.4.2  opens the same file (with both Mutithreading and GPU options CHECKED) in about 8 minutes (still too long, but better), and was also slow to enable editing.  Release  22.5.9 took about 10 minutes to load and but was mmediately editable.  I know this is a very large file, but it should still work.  23.4.2 works reasonably well for smaller psb and psd files, but there is clearly some kind of problem here.  I use a lot of smart objects and layers/masks in my work and it is essential that these functions work quickly and smoothly.  As it is, I have rolled back to 23.4.2 and kept 22.5.9 around for the larger files.

Please let me know if I can provide any additional information.  PS is a critical part of my photography work flow and I would like to take advantage of the improvements.  As it is, the new version is essentially unusable. 

Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear this @scenicshutterbug. The OP was on a Mac and you seem to be on windows, so could you start a new thread so we can address your issue since it is different?

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just started a new post called "Photoshop 23.5 Unresponsive".  Thank you for looking into this.

Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is about narrowing down the problem @dhuntsin.

If it's a bug, we may get a fix if the product team can identify and replicate the problem.

hth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @CoryShubert.  I appreciate your help.  The first thing I tried was:

>Go to Preferences > Performance... and uncheck Multithreaded Compositing - and restart Photoshop. Does the problem persist? 

After changing this preference and restarting Photoshop, the issue went away.  I then tried re-enabling the preference and restarting Photoshop.  The issue no longer persists even after re-enabling the preference.  This being the case, I don't think it makes sense to run any more tests. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines