“Master” color adjustment layer to control non-adjacent layers

Participant ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what "ecosystem" is, but there's no plain "Photoshop" forum, so I'm posting here.

The Photoshop document I am working on is a book cover that includes the front, rear, and spine.

The cover of every book will be the same, but two changes will be made: 1) the title will change, and 2) Some text and elements will have a different color scheme.

Currently, each of these layers has a color overlay. For each book, I would like to be able to change the color overlay of those layers, without having to do each one manually. Applying the adjustment to a group would be easy, but the layers that need a color change aren't all together—they're not even close to each other.

Linked layers only move or scale together, but the color of one layer does not affect the other.

My goal is to create some "master" color adjustment layer that can be used to control any number of non-adjacent layers. Any ideas?

[ Subject edited by moderator as per next post. Was ""Master"" ]

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Community Professional , Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Hi

@jane-e , thanks for linking my previous answer as it saves typing it all out again 🙂

The principle is simple - each master colour is a color fill layer held in a smart object. When you need a shape or text layer to take on that colour just duplicate the smart object and clip it to the object or text. Changing colour is just a case of opening the appropriate SO and changing the colour fill layer. All instances of that colour are then updated.

Dave

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

typo: ("Master") "Master"

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@zvi_t 

This is the Photoshop forum and you are in the right place. It was rebranded "Ecosystem" when it was combined with the forums for PS for Mobile, Scripting, and Feedback (Ideas and Bugs).

I'm going to tag @davescm . I remember a year or two or three ago when he showed something that might work for you. As I recall, he made a SO with the color, then duplicated the SO. When the SO was edited, all were updated with the new color. It was a while ago, though, so I may be misrembering.

Jane

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, multiple instances of the same Smart Object, clipping masked to the texts and elements should work out.  

I seem to recall a Feature Request on Smart Adjustment Layers; that would seem like »overkill« in this case but ultimately quite useful … alas, I can’t find it at the moment. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems cumbersome, but I've just thought of an idea that I'll try later:

Okay, so I have a mixture of text and element layers in the layer panel. Every layer would need to be saved as its own PSD file. In my original document, each layer would be converted into a linked layer, each linking to the corresponding PSD file. Then I would create a new PSD file, where I would place all the separate PSD layer files as linked files. All layers of this PSD would have one color adjustment clipped to them.

All I would have to do is change the color of that last PSD file, and everything should change in my original file.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wouldn’t putting all the elements into a Group and applying a Color Overlay Layer Style (or Clipping Masking Adjustment Layers to the Group) suffice? 

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I explained why I can't put them all in one group. Some layers need to be on top of other layers that don't need coloring. Some layers are for the front cover, some for the spine, and some for the back. Each part of the book has many layer folders, and it's over 100 layers.

EXCEL_WA7RL1aC0i.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are two covers, where you can see the color change.

Photoshop_LokBWnqoLY.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that is easily achieved by the method I outlined below (and detailed in the thread linked by Jane)

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although the method I describe will work, I should add that the best tool for assembling graphics, images and text for such covers is InDesign, not Photoshop. Doing this in Photoshop, which can still be used for creating individual images, is like trying to put a screw into wood using a hammer. It can be done but a screwdriver makes things much easier.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know. I use InDesign for the book's interior. Having used Photoshop for 15 years and InDesign for two years, I'm more familiar with it.  

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

@jane-e , thanks for linking my previous answer as it saves typing it all out again 🙂

The principle is simple - each master colour is a color fill layer held in a smart object. When you need a shape or text layer to take on that colour just duplicate the smart object and clip it to the object or text. Changing colour is just a case of opening the appropriate SO and changing the colour fill layer. All instances of that colour are then updated.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines