Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Memory leak in M1 Native version of PS

Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2021 Sep 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There seems to be a memory leak in M1 version of of Photoshop. 

When I open PS with no image it's using around 1Gb RAM

When I load an image from LR it jumps up to 5-6Gb (quite a lot for a pixel based image) then the ram usage appears to jump up around 1Gb everytime I click anything. Zoom in and 1Gb increase, create a mask it jumps up. 

A simple edit on an image can suddenly see me with 40Gb RAM usage. Removing layers, masks or every closing the image does not release any RAM. 

Open a new image and RAM usage continues from where we left off. Next thing you know You're using over 100Gb RAM and PS dies. 

Running PS in rosetta mode doesn't appear to suffer the same Ram hogging

Am I wasting my time posting here or do Adobe actually bother to read this stuff. 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Have you looked at the number of undo's you have set for your History Panel? The number of History States you set can have a direct correlation to the amount of memory PS is using.

Go to Photoshop Preferences>Performance and check the number of History States you have selected, and try lowering the number. Restart Photoshop and see if that helps.

Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 8.02.23 AM.png

Let us know if that works, or if you are still having issues.

Thanks!

Michelle

PS. You are not wasting your time. While "Adobe" is made up of Staff and Volunteers who answer the questions in the Forum, we are also Photoshop Users who want to see you productive and enjoying your time using the program. Just wanted you to know that. 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi if you are using latest version try to use 2020 and try it to check its a bug or not...regards

Ali Sajjad

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@lambiloon The first version released for the M1 processor was in March 2021 (i.e v22) so going back to the 2020 version (v21) will not be an option in this instance

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mglush History is set to 50. I'm guessing that's the default I don't recall ever changing that. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@lambiloon 2020 was not M1 Native app. I've already pointed out that running PS under Rosetta does NOT appear to suffer the same memory hogging as when running as a native M1 app. While RAM usage does seem to go up to around 30-40Gb it appears to stay around that mark. I'm going to do some more testing and record the same edits on the same image running both.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Let us know how the testing goes. I am really interested to hear the results!

Michelle

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines