• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Merge layers issue after update

Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2022 Dec 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the latest update, I noticed several things that are not working as before. For one, when merging layers, I usually just used "merge all visible" and created a jpg file. Now when I do that, it creates a psd file. It will only create the jpg when I do "merge all layers into background layer".

The other issue I found is that when I crop a photo and then open it in Camera Raw, the original photo is shown and not the cropped version.

This may both seem miniscule but it is irritating and only started happening after the latest update of Photoshop.

Any solutions or tips?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 27, 2022 Dec 27, 2022

Have you checked your preferences/File Handling and made sure "Enable legacy Save As" is checked?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 27, 2022 Dec 27, 2022

When you crop, does your Options above show "Delete Cropped Pixels" as checked or no.

If not, you're not really removing the pixels, just changing the canvas size.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked your preferences/File Handling and made sure "Enable legacy Save As" is checked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Kevin, I have not. I have never changed anything, just did the updates as necessary. I'll try to see if I can check for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also does your layers have a background layer (locked) before you merge visible?

Merge visible will only work if there is already an existing Background layer.

Otherwise it creates a single layer file but not flattened (necessary for jpg).

Try using Flatten Image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am editing with the same procedure almost every day and never had that issue before.

I did check for "Enable legacy Save As" and it was unchecked, so I checked that now.

When I merge layers, I usually have a background layer and then add onto that. Like I said I never had this issue before and work on the same kind of files. I do not see the option of "flatten image".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin, I do think the "enable legacy Save As" may have helped the issue. Thanks! Now what about my other one, the fact that cropped images do not show as cropped anymore when I open them in Camera Raw?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you crop, does your Options above show "Delete Cropped Pixels" as checked or no.

If not, you're not really removing the pixels, just changing the canvas size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is also something that has always worked and I never changed anything. I just checked that box for the first time though, and it worked. So thanks, Kevin. That was very helpful. I wish it would be more highlighted what the changes are. It can be bothersome to figure it all out as we go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines