• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Merge visible with rename in action?

Participant ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I want to create an action with the first step being to merge all visible with option press (to retain the old layers), rename it, and place it in a new group.

So, let's say I have something that looks like this:

Hair (layer for healing brush of flyaways etc)

Colour cast (hue/sat adjustment layer)

Background

What I would like is the action to create this:

> DETAILS (new group)

Sharpen (new layer inside group which is a merge of all visible layers below)

Hair (layer for healing brush of flyaways etc)

Colour cast (hue/sat adjustment layer)

Background

My problems with this are that, when I record the merge visible, it doesn't give me the option to add a name, so it will call it, for example, "Layer 2". In order to rename it, I need to select it and rename. Butm of course, if it were automatically named "Layer 3, for example, this step would fail. Similarly with dragging it into a group, if it doesn't have the correct name, this will fail.

I'm sure there must be a way of doing this, but I'm new to actions. Any help please?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

@EricJ32 wrote:

... when I record the merge visible, it doesn't give me the option to add a name

1. Add a new blank layer which gives you the option to name it (option click new layer icon or use new layer from menu)
  2. Opt/Alt Merge Visible ( cmd/ctrol opt/alt shift E )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After you click on background record these steps:

• Layer > New > Background from Layer
  • Select > All Layers
  • Layer > Merge Layers (with pressed Alt)
  • Layer > Group Layers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@EricJ32 – The following should be a game changer for you!

Relative Layer Keycuts (visible layers):

Select/target front (top) layer = Opt/Alt .
Select/target next layer up = Opt/Alt ]
Select/target next layer down = Opt/Alt [
Select/target back (bottom) layer = Opt/Alt ,

Move current target layer to front (top) layer = Cmd/Ctrl Shift ]
Move current target layer up = Cmd/Ctrl ]
Move current target layer down = Cmd/Ctrl [
Move current target layer to back (bottom) layer = Cmd/Ctrl Shift [

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Stephen, this, along with your other answer that I have selected as the correct one, gave me the combination of tools I needed to have the action work from anywhere in my workflow, and without the need to ensure a specific layer is clicked first. Props!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your welcome, for what it is worth, this is a screenshot of the action and the result that I created from your original description. If your action is different, then it may give you other ideas of a different way of getting to the same end:

atn.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, mine's a little more convoluted because I was stripping it down to the basics for the purposes of the post. But I think it's roughly the same.

I already have a "startup" method which creates everything from "Eyes" down. I didn't have the same issues with this because it's always run as the very first thing in my workflow, so I only have the one background layer at that point. Nevertheless, I'm going to go tidy it up using some of the methods this post has highlighted.

Here is my new "Details" action. It merges the visible layers for sharpening with multiple high pass filters on a smart object, and then adds an oil paint filter. Obviously this all then needs to be customised to the image after running. Hopefully it makes sense.

Screenshot 2022-02-17 at 10.58.19.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't have to make any initial click, just record as first step background selection.

Anyway, did the another steps in my post did that you wanted to achieve?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thank you, both yours and Stephen's answers were very much along the same lines, so helped me to create the action I was after. Stephen got bonus points for providing the keyboard shortcuts for layer selection/moving 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, then I understand my solution is also a correct, I mean can be used to get the same 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@EricJ32 wrote:

... when I record the merge visible, it doesn't give me the option to add a name

1. Add a new blank layer which gives you the option to name it (option click new layer icon or use new layer from menu)
  2. Opt/Alt Merge Visible ( cmd/ctrol opt/alt shift E )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Item one is not for what user asked while item 2 is already given in my list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OP wrote:

"My problems with this are that, when I record the merge visible, it doesn't give me the option to add a name"

Adding a new blank layer does offer the option of adding a new name.

Where did you offer to add a new name as the OP wanted?

The merge step is "universal" to both methods, different ways of achieving the same end. I believe that your other steps achieve a different result. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your tip doesn't let name layer while merging it with other.

Ctrl & Alt & E is combination in my other step.

by the way did you see that: Feb 16, 2022

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kukurykus wrote:

Your tip doesn't let name layer while merging it with other.

I did write:

"Add a new blank layer which gives you the option to name it (option click new layer icon or use new layer from menu)"

Seems pretty obvious that this suggests methods to name the layer to me.

Ctrl & Alt & E is combination in my other step.

As I said, this is a common step for many users to use, I didn't realise that you had exclusive rights to it! :]

It is how it is used in combination with a different step than your suggestion that is key, as explained above.

by the way did you see that: Feb 16, 2022

I'll reply over there, for what it is worth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution I provided doesn't need specific layers name. It can remain same as it was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines