• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Message "disk error" on save in Photoshop (Windows 10)

Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

since a few days I encounter a problem while saving files and returning them to Lightroom Classic. Opening a RAW-image form Lrc to Ps and saving them afterwards, the save gets stuck at appr. 35% and I am getting the message "cannot save file xxxxxxxxx due to a disk error".

Since I could save the PSD to another disk, so at first I thought, this must be a hardware failure indeed. After the error message the folder of the original image is no longer accessible in the Explorer and I cannot copy the saved PSD from the alternativ location back to the original source.
In the Windows diskmanager there is no failure visible, whereas chkdsk says "cannot run, RAW volume" ... After restarting the entire system though, everything is back to normal. Testing with chkdsk doesn't show any problems then.

Now comes the strange part. When opening the NEF RAW file from the very same external disk directly in Photoshop via ACR, there are no problems saving the elaborated file back to the original location again. After synchronizing teh folder in Lrc the PSD is added properly and the disk is functioning without any flaws.

i repeated both methods 4 times in order to somewhat reduce the risk of coincidential outcomes, but the pattern is consistent all the way.

My first impression is that somewhere in the process of creating the PSD something gets messed up in the file system by Lrc.

Does anyone know this issue and is there a solution?

Sysinfo:
Windows 10 Pro 22H2, build 19045.2673
Lr Classic 12.2.1
Photoshop 2023, 24.2.0
External HDD, Toshiba/WD 5TB via USB3.0, NTFS file system
Lrc-catalogue on internal SSD.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry to hear this @Kees van Surksum, a couple questions:

1. Is this a Save As command from Ps?

2. In Lr prefs/external editors, change external editor file from psd to tiff, repeat the operation, does that save?

It may help if we could see your Photoshop System Info. Launch Photoshop, and select Help >System Info...and copy/paste the text in a reply.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines