• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

“Modifier Keys” panel missing in Technology Previews Photoshop 24.3 on Surface Pro

Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2023 Mar 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating, I'm no longer getting my Ctrl/Alt/Shift panel toolbar in Photoshop on my Surface Pro. The lack of it greatly hinders my workflow, so how do I get it back? It's no longer in the Technology Preview section of Settings, so I assume the feature is now out of beta, but I can't find it anywhere. Help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

[Subject edited for clarity. Was "Modifier Keys toolbar missing in Photoshop 24.3"]

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

@DashMartin here is why you are not seeing this function:

List of Technology Previews

USE MODIFIER KEYS PALETTE

Note:

With the March release of Photoshop 24.3, we will no longer support the Technology Preview - Modifier Keys Palette.

Default state: On

The Modifier Keys Palette is a toolbar that provides quick access to frequently used keyboard modifiers on the Windows touch devices, such as the Surface Pro 3.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/technology-previews.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Mar 31, 2023 Mar 31, 2023

I've found a 3rd party application that will make up for Photoshop's shortcomings. It's called Numpad Emulator.  It's an onscreen virtual number pad, but customizable. You can remove all the number keys and replace them with just CTRL,ALT and SHIFT. You can also add other keys that Photoshop's Modifier Keys pallette didn't. I hope this helps anyone else coming here to find an answer.

Download numpad emulator (sourceforge.net)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to replicate the issue on my other pc. After update, the modifier keys toolbar disappeared. I hope there's a fix for this soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DashMartin 

Ctrl, Alt, and Shift are keys on a keyboard; they are not part of Photoshop. Are you using an internal or external keyboard with your surface pro? 

Try this link, but if it is not what you are looking for, you might try the Microsoft forum.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/all/surface-pro-on-screen-keyboard-numeric-keypad/...

Do you have a screen shot of what we are looking for?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, I rolled back to 24.2.1 and took a screenshot for you. See below.

To answer your question, I generally don't use my hardware keyboard with my Surface. I only use the on screen keyboard for naming files and use Photoshop's built-in Modifier Keys pallette for doing actual work. Using the onscreen keyboard works for some things, but if something I need to get to is under the keyboard (which takes up half the screen) I have to minimize the keyboard which turns off the modifier. 

Screenshot 2023-03-25 230616.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DashMartin 

I don't use a Surface Pro, but I do see the issue now. I've changed your subject line for clarity. If Adobe Staff does not answer within a day or two, tag me by pressing @ and choosing my name so I can followup.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. Still not there so I also downgraded. I'm not sure why they'd take such a useful feature away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, it might be an unwanted issue.For my part, I'd love it to be available on a Mac, it could be a very nice accessibility feature, as it works also without a stylus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DashMartin here is why you are not seeing this function:

List of Technology Previews

USE MODIFIER KEYS PALETTE

Note:

With the March release of Photoshop 24.3, we will no longer support the Technology Preview - Modifier Keys Palette.

Default state: On

The Modifier Keys Palette is a toolbar that provides quick access to frequently used keyboard modifiers on the Windows touch devices, such as the Surface Pro 3.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/technology-previews.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, @CoryShubert 
Did I miss that in the release notes, or was it not listed?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html

Mmh... not listed...
It is odd to hide the removal of a feature that was active by default, for years, would it be experimental...

I know not many users took advantage of it, but still...

Now, the question is, can a developer create such a panel in UXP, just for the accessibility value... @Davide_Barranca ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome. Glad it's been removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope you rely on the next feature they remove since you are glad they removed mine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was being sarcastic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so if it's no longer in the Technology Preview, one would assume it was moved from beta to standard? I can't imagine dumping a useful feature like this all together. It forces people to not update to the newest version. I just don't see the reasoning in removing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2023 Mar 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found a 3rd party application that will make up for Photoshop's shortcomings. It's called Numpad Emulator.  It's an onscreen virtual number pad, but customizable. You can remove all the number keys and replace them with just CTRL,ALT and SHIFT. You can also add other keys that Photoshop's Modifier Keys pallette didn't. I hope this helps anyone else coming here to find an answer.

Download numpad emulator (sourceforge.net)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Photoshop Developers must hate people who use a 2 in 1 as a tablet with a pen.  First they take away Surface Dial Support and now this.  I understand the Dial, but it shouldn't be hard to have an onscreen Shift, Alt, and Control Button.  So annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD ADOBE REMOVE SUCH A BASIC, ESSENTIAL PALLET THAT LETS ONE USE MODIFIER KEYS ON SCREEN IN PHOTOSHOP ON A TABLET OR 2 IN 1 WITHOUT USING THE OS KEYBOARD ???!!! Try to clone without the large, easy to access ALT modifier key RIGHT THERE IN PHOTOSHOP !! WHY ???!!!

Really stupid thing to do, especially for those of us that have used Photoshop on a tablet with a pen for 12 years now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am [still] using the Surface Pro 3 that I got at the 2014 Adobe Max conference. All attendees received a brand new Surface Pro 3 for "free" and at that conference both Adobe and Microsoft made a huge deal about new features in Photoshop - like the Modifier Keys Panel - for use on touchscreen devices... specifically the Surface Pros. The Modifier Keys Panel is infinitely useful when using Photoshop on a touchscreen device.

It is a user-optional panel. Why remove it entirely from Photoshop? I strongly recommend that Adobe reinstate the Modifier Keys Panel with the next immediate update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 08, 2023 Sep 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What [cursing removed]? Why would you get rid of this without offering a new solution. So frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not alone in experiencing the missing "Modifier Keys" panel in Photoshop after updating to version 24.3 on your Surface Pro. This issue seems to have affected other users as well.

To address this problem, you can try the following steps:

1. Reset Tools and Workspace: Sometimes, issues with toolbars can be resolved by resetting your Photoshop tools and workspace. You can find a tutorial on how to do this on YouTube.

2. Check for Updates: Ensure that your Photoshop is up to date. Occasionally, issues are resolved in subsequent updates, so make sure you have the latest version.

3. Contact Adobe Support: If the problem persists, consider reaching out to Adobe Support for assistance. They can provide more specific guidance based on your setup.

Remember to back up your custom settings and preferences before making any changes to your workspace or settings in Photoshop. This will allow you to restore them if needed.

If these steps do not resolve the issue, you may need to wait for a future update from Adobe that addresses this specific problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Why was this removed? There's so few things tha makes photoshop on touch and on a tablet viable and they remove one of them while the rest of the program remains archaic.

It constantly feels like windows users are ignored and they wouldn't pull this crap on OSX. Just like OSX supporting HDR but not windows when it's had HDR for years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines