• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moire pattern on wall

Participant ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently did finishing work on some files of a hotel for one of my clients. On a few of the walls appeared what looks like a moire pattern in the processed images. I use Lightroom for processing prior to retouching the files. This pattern doesn't show up in the original JPEG files sent to me by the client. I have no idea what created this pattern. I didn't do anything different than usual in my processing. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. See attached photos.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Yes, the specific step that created this pattern is called a "Defog" action from another photographer. Spcifically it's unsharp mask, amount 20%, Radius 40 pixels, Threshold 0. These files are created by HDR and often appear to have a bit of haze or flair. This was supposed to reduce that effect but it unfortunately caused the banding issue. Thank you for your comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its in the originals

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have discovered that this pattern was created by one of my sharpening steps in an action that I use. Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear you found the solution. Any chance you could post a little more detail that could help others with a similar issue?

FYI: The Camera Raw Filter contains Moire Reduction capabilities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the specific step that created this pattern is called a "Defog" action from another photographer. Spcifically it's unsharp mask, amount 20%, Radius 40 pixels, Threshold 0. These files are created by HDR and often appear to have a bit of haze or flair. This was supposed to reduce that effect but it unfortunately caused the banding issue. Thank you for your comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant flare not flair. Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the update.

If you aren't familiar with it, I strongly recommend exploring the Camera Raw Filter. If you are looking to "Defog" an image I think you'll find the Dehaze slider particularly powerful.

Be sure to turn your layer(s) into a Smart Object before applying a filter. That way you apply these changes non-destructively and can easily change them later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To me this looks like banding, not moire. Banding happens in 8 in color depth, and the jpeg format is partucularly susceptible because the jpeg algorithm compresses the color component much more aggressively than the luminance component.

If you need to do further work on a jpeg, resave it as a 16 bit PSD or TIFF immediately.

Even better, ask your clients for TIFFs or PSDs to begin with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll keep that in mind for future work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines