• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Move tool suddenly not working on clipping mask layers

Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2023 Apr 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Photoshop 24.4.1 (current version) on Win10 PC. Have no issues using PS for a long time until last night, suddenly the move tool doesn't work as expected. I have Show Transform Controls checked (I like to see/use the controls and it verifies the layer is selected). I have Auto Select (Layer) checked, since I work much faster using the move tool to select things on the canvas, and it enables me to quickly click off (unselect) also. (I hate having to go over to the layers panel and find something in the list just to select it, that's so much slower). This is how I always have my PS set up. HOWEVER, as of last night, I suddenly can no longer use the move tool to select then move a layer that is part of a clipping mask. I'm referring to a layer that is on top the clipping mask layer (created with Ctrl+Alt+G), that has the arrow pointing down in the layers panel. Before, I could always use the move tool to select an upper layer of something that was clipped to a layer below, and then move it (and see how it would look in different positions on the clipping mask). Now I can only select it, but cannot move it around; the move tool simply starts selecting additional layers. I can nudge it with the arrow keys, but that's not what I want to do. The layer I'm trying to move is not locked, nor is it linked to anything else. If I release the clipping mask, the move tool with Auto Select works correctly again (selecting layer on the canvas then I can drag the item around). Or, if I uncheck Auto Select, I can move it around while still part of the clipping mask, but then the move tool doesn't work the way I want otherwise and I have to switch it back. It used to always work without constantly checking/unchecking Auto Select, so why is this an issue now? It is really interrupting my workflow. I've looked all over and can't find a solution. (resetting the move tool doesn't help either). Hoping for help soon, thanks!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Hi @Jennifer5EEE 

Let's make sure we're in a default state and there are no stale settings somewhere: 

Restore your preferences using this manual method:  

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually  

Does it work correctly? 

If that doesn't solve it, you can quit Photoshop and put the Settings folder back. 

It may help if we could see your Photoshop System Info. Launch Photoshop, and select Help >System Info...and copy/paste the text in a reply.  

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jennifer5EEE 

Let's make sure we're in a default state and there are no stale settings somewhere: 

Restore your preferences using this manual method:  

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually  

Does it work correctly? 

If that doesn't solve it, you can quit Photoshop and put the Settings folder back. 

It may help if we could see your Photoshop System Info. Launch Photoshop, and select Help >System Info...and copy/paste the text in a reply.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2023 Apr 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried that and it worked, thank you.

So then I put my old settings folder back in so I could see exactly how I had my workspace set up (thinking I'd have to remove the old Settings folder again and recreate my workspace). While I was in PS looking at my workspace, I tested to see if it might happen to work correctly again with the old settings folder put back, and it did. Why? No idea, but I'm thankful I didn't have to recreate all my settings!

Just for the record, before posting my issue, I had tried changing all settings/preferences from within PS that I could find related to selecting/moving, which didn't help, and I did close and open PS a few times also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines