• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving layers is a pain now - how do we go back to the old way?

New Here ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure when it happened but in a recent 2017 update I noticed a change to how you can click and drag layers within Photoshop.

I love the way it used to be for years - whichever layer, layers or grouped folder you selected, not matter where on your screen you clicked and drag it would only move only those item(s).

Now with this new update it does not matter which layer or layers you select, where you click and drag on the screen its going to move that particular layer. Then for a grouped folder you have the added task where you need to hold shift to move multiple layers within it.

This is extremely frustrating when you have a lot of layers, especially fine art ones. One example -  trying to move text or a small button within a web design is a painful process now.

Is there a way where I can set the preferences back to how it was for moving layers -or- is there something new that has been added to the UI that allows me to move things as it once did without it being a total pain?

If my explanation wasn't clear enough I have also linked to a screenshare video where I give an example of this:

https://agentfire.box.com/s/bhx91067jn1ycke2mum4463rv6lqk7ho

Thank you,

Luke

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Hi Luke

With the move tool selected - uncheck Auto Select in the options bar

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Luke

With the move tool selected - uncheck Auto Select in the options bar

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh wow do I feel dumb - I cant believe I missed that. You are a life saver though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha - we all get caught out now and then

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You did notice a change.  Adobe changed the move tools Auto Select default.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You should not feel dumb.  The dumb one was the programmer that decided this was a change for the better. I hate updates with an unbridled passion.  99 cents out of every dollar spent on programmers is wasted.  Once a program is built and it works, fire all the programmers.  Send them home.  Otherwise, they just sit and break stuff so that they can keep working.  It is an exercise in innefenciency.  I don't want your updates.  If it works, leave it alone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines