• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My photos are clear in camera raw but blurry with lost quality when I open in photoshop

Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot figure out why my photos when I open them in photoshop lose quality and are blurry.. I am wondering if it is in my settings or if I am doing something wrong. They are clear when shot, and in camera raw + lightroom but if I try to edit in photoshop they are not working - so blurry, and pixelated.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

LEGEND , Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

So you ARE comparing the images in Photoshop (to ACR/LR) at 1:1?

What are your output settings for the raws from each? In Lightroom Classic what are the export settings, in ACR, the Workflow Options (looks like a web link at the bottom of the GUI)?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Oh I think I just figured it out by looking into what you meant... Somehow my settings were on resize to fit at .2MP! 🤦‍:female_sign:

I checked my older Mac's settings and it was set to default 24MP and I switched my other one and now all my images are clear as shot!

Would you reccomend that I have the megapixels set at the quality of my camera? I have a Sony A7ii and it shoots at 24.3MP? and what is the best/ideal resolution as well? It defaults at 300ppi

Thanks for all your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

@NickiDoane wrote:

Camera Raw opens at Adobe RGB 1998 - 8 bit - 400x600 (0.2mp) - 300ppi

Well there's your problem! 

400x600 pixels, what do you expect? 

Reconfigure the workflow options for something much, much larger, ideally the SAME number of pixels as the original (raw), view both at 100%; now what do you see?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screenshots are not comparing like with like. View and compare at 100% zoom in both applications

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do as Dave suggests but keep in mind, in LR, that's known as 1:1 and ONLY compare Photoshop and Lightroom using the Develop module at that zoom to Photoshop. 

If that doesn't produce a match, try disabling GPU in one, then the other application (preferences). Better? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are new photos uploaded at same zoom.

Hopefully this is better. I tried to uninstall and reinstall photoshop but it didn't work, still losing quality on images.

The weird thing is I have an older mac and on that laptop photoshop is fine but it's on my new mac is where I am having the issues of quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the pixel dimensions in Lightroom? And what are they in Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My ppi in photoshop is 300 but Lightroom is not the issue, it's the camera raw that automatically opens first when I try to open my photos in photoshop - Camera Raw pops up first and is clear and then when I open in photoshop they are terrible. I just tried to uninstall and reinstall photoshop but same problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you ARE comparing the images in Photoshop (to ACR/LR) at 1:1?

What are your output settings for the raws from each? In Lightroom Classic what are the export settings, in ACR, the Workflow Options (looks like a web link at the bottom of the GUI)?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay I am very new to this so hopefully this is what you are asking...

I haven't opened them in Lightroom because I am trying to edit through photoshop.

This is are the default setting I am assuming because I haven't changed anything since downloading photoshop...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@NickiDoane wrote:

Well there's your problem! 

400x600 pixels, what do you expect? 

Reconfigure the workflow options for something much, much larger, ideally the SAME number of pixels as the original (raw), view both at 100%; now what do you see?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your help! I am new to all of this! I am so grateful for this community to reach out to for help.

Would you reccomend that I have the megapixels set at the quality of my camera? I have a Sony A7ii and it shoots at 24.3MP? and what is the best/ideal resolution as well? It defaults at 300ppi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@NickiDoane wrote:

It depends on the use of the image and the work you'll do but generally yes, render (export) at the full resolution of the raw, work on it, resample down IF needed for that one use. The high resolution 'master' can be used now for anything at that resolution or lower. 

The 300PPI is a metadata tag and rather meaninless. 1000x1000 pixels can be 1000PPI or 10PPI; you still have 1000x1000 pixels. This is old, but nothing has changed with respect to this concept of pixels and resolution:

http://digitaldog.net/files/Resolution.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my Camera Raw Prefrences - Workflow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh I think I just figured it out by looking into what you meant... Somehow my settings were on resize to fit at .2MP! 🤦‍:female_sign:

I checked my older Mac's settings and it was set to default 24MP and I switched my other one and now all my images are clear as shot!

Thanks for all your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Stop worrying about ppi, it's not important. Ppi is not a property of the file; it's just a way to translate the image pixels into a physical size. Ppi can be changed at any time and the file itself is unchanged.

The file is just pixels. That's what you need to look at. And yes, normally you want all the pixels the camera sensor delivers. You can always go down later, but you can't go up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines