• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My photoshop timeline menu is not showing all the options I need to crate a frame animation. Help please!

New Here ,
Jan 02, 2016 Jan 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

My photoshop timeline is not showing all the options I need in order to create a frame animation. It seems as though some of the options are not available (mouse arrow turns into a black circle with a cross through it when I hover my mouse over such options) and the menu bar is not showing all the options that should be there in order to create an animated gif.

Is this because I need to update my photoshop? I have attached 2 photos to help - 1st photo is the menu options I see on my computer. 2nd photo (with the red arrow in it) is what the timeline menu should look like based on the online photoshop GIF tutorial I am following.

Thanks for your help!

Screen Shot 2016-01-02 at 3.45.41 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-01-02 at 3.45.57 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 25, 2016 Feb 25, 2016

You have to click the "Create Frame Animation" button in the center of the panel before you can click the convert button in the lower left. Photoshop can't switch between the two if it doesn't know what kind of animation it is to begin with. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Deleted User
Feb 25, 2016 Feb 25, 2016

I had ticked Frame Animation in that drop down list in the center of the screen, but didn't realize that it became a button I had to click as well. Seems redundant, but as long as it is working it's all good. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Well EUREKA!! So easy when you click on Create Frame Animation, not just select in from the dropdown.... Phew!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2016 Jan 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have a Video Timeline. Convert it to a Frame Animation via the teeny-tiny button in the lower left corner of the Timeline panel. (It'll look like 3 hollow squares.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 23, 2016 Feb 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used the drop list to change to 'Create Frame Animation' and nothing changes with the menu. I have tried clicking the three boxes, but the cursor changes to a 'you can't do that' symbol (See attached photo). Any idea what gives?

20160223_110612_HDR.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to click the "Create Frame Animation" button in the center of the panel before you can click the convert button in the lower left. Photoshop can't switch between the two if it doesn't know what kind of animation it is to begin with. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had ticked Frame Animation in that drop down list in the center of the screen, but didn't realize that it became a button I had to click as well. Seems redundant, but as long as it is working it's all good. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So relieved to find this thread.  I had exactly the same issue and it has been driving me nuts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me as well! Relieved to have found this thread 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 09, 2019 Aug 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, it wasn't really clear , was it?!!!

thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well EUREKA!! So easy when you click on Create Frame Animation, not just select in from the dropdown.... Phew!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So happy to see this!!!! So relieved!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, I can't tell you how long I was trying to figure this out. Thank God I found this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2021 Oct 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2021 Dec 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU for the tip!!! So simple and yet if you don't get that you have to "click" on create animation", you keep looking for what you haven't done right. Again THANK YOU 🙏 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for saying that I am literally trying to make a GIF for my graphic design class and I almost blew a fuse for not being able to figure it out. Wish they would make it to where once you switched it over it would just do it. Thank you so much!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this tip!  It is not very intuitive to click the option again once you've chosen it as your option from your dropdown menu.  But, I'm glad it's a simple tip. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2024 Jan 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2021 Jul 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doset let me press it anyway.14424484-9ED7-4088-85DB-3559C2B8B4C9_1_105_c.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same exact issue. someone please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue , Timline option dont allow me as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, on which computer are you? On a M1 mac, there is no video layers yet in the native mode, you need to switch to the rosetta version: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-for-apple-silicon.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, same issue. I haven't Create Video Animation, it's weird. Only allowed me to Create Frame Animation. Even I've updated the PS for Apple Silicon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I just contacted adobe support and was able to solve this issue by 
Right click Photoshop> Get Info> Click on Open using Rosetta

Hope it helps : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thank you very much it works 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it doesnt work, i dont understand why its happening this.
maybe its better go back to Big sur?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines