• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My Trial is limited to 7 days, Why?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2016 Apr 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just loaded the photography trial and it says 7 days only? I am pretty sure I am going to purchase, but would like to take advantage of the full trial,

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 13, 2016 Apr 13, 2016

Hi all,

From time to time we run tests on Adobe.com to help us ensure we are providing the best experience possible for our customers. These tests cover a range of items, including the duration of app trials, and may or may not be presented to all visitors to Adobe.com. We are currently running a number of tests in select countries that are testing for shorter and longer trial duration periods.

Regards

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 105 Replies 105
Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the Air Force and flight schools do supply planes for their students. Likewise, Adobe does supply CC for students who are on campus. The issue is the growing number of students in online or distance education. They cannot access the campus, so they have to pay for something that the on-campus students get for free. And to say that Adobe is providing free software is a bit wrong, because the educational institute pays Adobe for the site license. and the price of the site license is passed along to ALL student in their tuition bill, regardless of whether they are able to come to the campus. So maybe Adobe needs to rethink how the education site license works, because more and more education is happening outside of the brick and mortar computer labs on campus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

foothillcollege wrote:

The educational subscription price is also only available to students for a limited number of years regardless of whether they are still enrolled.

AFAIK, this is not the case.

As long as any student, teacher, or staff member is enrolled or employed by an accredited educational institution at the time of sign-up or renewal (or even within the past six months), then that subscriber would still receive Adobe's academic pricing. And these days, being eligible is usually as simple as having a ".edu" address (or equivalent).

Have never heard of a maximum number of years of eligibility with Adobe, ever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Renewing at the educational price is as simple has having an .edu email. My students reported that they could not keep the educational price if they were on a "slower" path to a degree and were not enrolled each term. All of them are using gmail.com or equivalent email addresses.

My students who aren't on online-only or who want CC for their personal computers buy subscriptions from collegebuys.com it is significantly cheaper than buying from Adobe, but even that  is a challenge for some.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, no offense, but can't make clear sense of your comments... The reseller you linked sells the EDU version of CC for the same price as direct from Adobe – $19.99/month, at least for the first year.

Also, you said in your prior comment, "The educational subscription price is also only available to students for a limited number of years regardless of whether they are still enrolled" – but then in your response, you wrote, "they could not keep the educational price if they were on a 'slower' path to a degree and were not enrolled each term."

Adobe does give a six-month grace period on paperwork proving eligibility, but if the individual has not been or is not enrolled within a six-month window, then not sure what else they really can/should do. And since the EDU memberships run 12 months at a time, even being away from school for a single term should not impact overall eligibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

collegebuy.com sells the annual edu CC subscription for $169, for students as California Community Colleges. But cost isn't my point.

This discussion has gone way off track. The real issue is that the on-campus students are provided (free) access to the CC site license which I assumed is subsidized in part by their tuition. The online students pay the same tuition and are therefore contributing funds to a CC site license which they cannot access, and are expected to buy their own CC subscription to complete their coursework.

My apologies for any and all other irrelevant tangents and hearsay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, that concern is understandable. But, it really depends on the licensing arrangement your school has with Adobe...  For most Creative Cloud subscribers, there's nothing in the software that restricts the usage geographically.

In other words, any subscriber CC Individual, Student/Teacher, Teams, or Enterprise can install and log in and use the tools from anywhere, from any location or computer.

There are several different options for schools and universities to license the products. Only if your college opted for "per-device licensing" would there be a limit on where the tools could be used.

Meaning, the software usage would be limited to classrooms & labs with that option, so off-campus students wouldn't be able to use it. But, that's only one of several different ways that education institutions can license the software.

For more details, see:

https://creative.adobe.com/plans?plan=edu_inst

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FootHill College? The one near Los Altos Hills, CA? Nice Radio Museum there.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I downloaded the Adobe Illustrator cc 30 days trial this morning and it says that I have 7 days left, any idea as to why I only have 7 days? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See above, where this was discussed over 80some messages My Trial is limited to 7 days, Why? . Anything that refers to a 30 day trial is in error, they have been 7 day trials for over a year. What web page says it will be 30 days?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just want to add to the grumblings regarding the ridiculously limited 7 day trial period.

The local Arts and Education centre approached me to start an evening class on Graphic Design. I was very much up for it and a great chance to educate residents in a remote part of Scotland to design software. I had drawn up proposals for a month long course (4 x weekly evening classes) which were all based on student running (as it always used to be) 30 day trial.

When I realised that Adobe has switched it to 7 days it pretty much sunk a big hole in the idea. No evening class. No one inspired to a career in Graphic Design. No new love affairs with Adobe software.

Big shame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be interesting to know whether you would have been paid for this month long course. If that was the idea then don't you think there is a strong element of hypocrisy in your argument? If you expect Adobe to provide free software for the course then you should give your time and experience for free as well. While we are at it why not have Apple donate free computers and the local power company give the electricity for free, oh and Ferrari can lend the participants cars for a month to get to the centre Seriously base your course around a 'free' Photoshop alternative or use the seven day trial for a five day intensive course, eight hours a day on five successive days. This is the method training companies use but it's extremely hard work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am 100% with Adobe. It's no part of their business to provide software for free for people to create and run courses, and it's exactly this sort of thing which encouraged them to shorten the trial. I would find it very offensive if I turned up on a course to be told I needed to download a free trial to be taught. Not least, what if I'd already used my trial up? Mind you, this is way better than what I have heard of more than once, tutors handing out cracked software, complete no doubt with viruses and future legal liabilities. Way to encourage respect for intellectual property! Let's also learn how to plagiarise essays.

A months' subscription to Photoshop can be had for US$30, cancellable. This needs to be part of the student's plan. If they can't afford even one month's use of the software, it's probably not worth teaching them to use it either, as it won't stay fresh in the months or years before they perhaps get to use it professionally. Better to teach something free they can keep, and continue the inspiration the teacher will give.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It really is a difficult topic. On the one hand, teaching (in schools, universities, etc.) differs globally, and even within countries with respect, to

- if and how much budget a course/class gets from the institution

- if and how much is allowed to ask of students (by the law or institutional rules)

So, often it is not in the hands of a tutor or teacher to decide whether it is good or bad to use trial versions for a seminar. In some places, this is a totally respected way to teach.

On the other hand, I just signed up on www.masterclass.com for deadmau5's music class. In the course's workbook, they encourage you to work along by using the 30-day trial version of Ableton Live.

One possible measure to decide if a seven-day trial is appropriate is to look for the competitors in the market.

Also, are 7 days appropriate for a package that contains over 20 applications?

Time will tell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with the 7 days trial is when you create your account. If you say you are student you get 7 day trial. If you say you are a professional you get 30. No way to change that later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you say you are a professional you get 30.    

Really? I thought all trials were 7 days regardless of your selections when you sign up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Hans+patrick  wrote

The problem with the 7 days trial is when you create your account. If you say you are student you get 7 day trial. If you say you are a professional you get 30. No way to change that later.

I didn't see that one coming If that was true I'm sure somebody would have told us.

Seriously. If you really are a professional, there's no competition. Photoshop is the industry standard. That may change some day, but for now that's just the way it is.

The only thing you need a trial for, is to check whether it runs on your hardware. You don't need 7 days for that, not even 7 hours. And even if it doesn't, what will a professional do? He/she will make sure the hardware is compatible, that's what.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously. If you really are a professional, there's no competition. Photoshop is the industry standard. That may change some day, but for now that's just the way it is.

While I see the Photography Plan as well within reach for everyone, and would recommend it, the  question would be "Do your clients care what you use as long as the results are up to standards?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Hans+patrick  wrote

Actually this is not the case. Since May 2016, the free trials for Creative Cloud were standardized at always 7 days for everyone.

There are other Adobe (non-CC) applications with still have longer trial periods, for students, pros, or whoever.

That said, we have heard of individual cases where Adobe sent emails offering to extend or renew free trial periods after some have expired. But this is by no means common.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is really taking the piss...who's going to be able to test a software in 7 days? Is not like you'll spend 8 hours per day for 7 days in a row. Whoever decided this should be fired straight away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to read the article linked in the comment just above yours – it explains how the change came about... It definitely wasn't decided by one person, nor was it undertaken lightly or without significant data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 06, 2017 Oct 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone with a minimum good sense will purchase something, specially software, because they are making a choice.
Not because they are forced or manipulated.
This is a terrible strategy, Adobe, that can easily inspire anyone, including me, to learn an Open Source Software from scratch and stick to it.

I'm sure that are many ones who don't need more than resizing a photo, yet they would buy your software, or have bought before, just to show their appreciation, and today you do this to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 06, 2017 Oct 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody is forcing you to buy anything Douglas, but I would have thought that if your primary requirement is resizing photographs that you would prefer to pay $10 for a subscription than $1000 for perpetually licenced version. The truth is subscription is popular because it makes quality products affordable, that's the trend today. Surely you must have noticed the great deals you can get on cars on lease, which is subscription by another name. Adobe, Microsoft, AutoCAD all have moved to subscription as it ensures reliable cash flow which in the end is more advantageous to a corporate than one off sales.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 07, 2017 Oct 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know, I know you're not forcing me to buy anything.
You're just forcing me to make a decision within 7 days.
And my decision is no.
I'll go with Gimp.

Though I used words like purchasing or buying, instead of rent, that was not the point.
Please I don't need an answer nor explanation about these terms.
Isn't my post and this whole thread about the somehow useless 7 days trial period?
Isn't that what everyone here disagree?
Approving our posts and answering below with something we didn't ask...
Just to show you didn't reject a fair post?
Nobody appreciates that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 07, 2017 Oct 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep in mind we are not Adobe employees, but customers volunteering our free time to help where Adobe support leaves off.

We can't overide their policies whether we agree with them or not, just we can't tell you what to buy.

So in the end go with what you want, we don't get a commission either way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terri is a very much experienced and helpful ACP, but unless there is an Adobe logo in her profile (and last time I checked there isn't), then she does not work for, set policy for, or speak for Adobe Systems.

Adobe set the 7 day policy two years ago. Below is the official say-so.

Update on Creative Cloud Trials | Adobe Customer Care Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines