• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need some clarity: Working in 16 bid mode

Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always edit my files in 16bit mode to preserve the color fidelity of my work or if I introduced a gradient into the image. I have a lot of ram and storage space so these aren't an issue for me. The only time I step down the color mode is to explore creative options (e.g. filters and plugins that only work in 8 bit mode) or if I am having a problem printing. Recently though, I am wondering if my file sizes are too big for LR mobile cloud sync to handle. (1GB and up)

1) If I don't use those creative options, should I save my files in 8 bit mode to produce a smaller file size?

2) Does switching modes produce a loss of quality if you primarily use adjustment layers, smart objects and embedded raws? For example, should I be saving my file in 8bit mode, but then return to 16 bit when I need to re-edit my color corrections? I.E. Does swamping color modes permanently destroy info? 
Thanks
Eric

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

If you go down to 8bit, then you've lost all that info and going back to 16 bit will not improve/restore the image to its prior state.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you go down to 8bit, then you've lost all that info and going back to 16 bit will not improve/restore the image to its prior state.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines