• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

NEF file overwritten even if processed file is saved as PSD file after making changes in PS.

New Here ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, I am facing an issue to which I have been trying to find a solution.  When I open an NEF file in PS after importing the pictures in Bridge(select image in Bridge, right click  and select Open with Photoshop), and then work on the image and finally use the File Save as option to save the image as a photoshop file, it also goes and overwrites my original NEF file.  This has now happened quite often, resulting in loss of my original NEF file. The file command for saving the file as JPEG works fine.  What am I doing wrong and is there anything that I must change in settings either in PS or Bridge or in my operating system?(I use an Apple Mcmini with the latest IOS.)  I have the latest updates on PS and Bridge.   Any assistance that anyone can provide will be hugely appreciated.  Thank you for your time and effort. 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For workflows with Bridge and Photoshop I would suggest to convert raw files (like NEF oder CR2) to DNG. Changes done to the raw file are saved in the DNG file and not in a sidecar file like it  is done with raw from the camera brand. You can do it upon import from the camera in Bridge.

Normally NEF files could not be overwritten except if the file association in yur OS is wrong. I would suggest to do any processing output in a dedicated new folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Willi.  I will try what you have suggested.  What  baffles me is that this is pretty basic stuff and I am sure Adobe has thought about it and made provision to avoid having to adopt alternative work flows. Why does PS behave like this when the OS settings are pretty standard.  I am going to check that as well.  Thank you for your time and advice.  Much appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Indeed, if you make some changes to a converted raw file, you can only save it as a new file. A PSD being different than a NEF should not overwrite it.

Can you record opening a (copy of a) NEF in Ps from Br, painting on it, saving to PSD so that we can see what goes wrong?

are you using save as, save a copy? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the other have said, I can't think of any scenario where it would even be possible to overwrite a NEF or other raw file.

NEF is a proprietary Nikon format and Adobe don't have the specification. They couldn't overwrite even if they wanted to.

Any raw file is treated as read only and there's no way to modify the pixel data. It is possible to save a new copy of a raw file, but only as DNG, and it will never overwrite the original.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2022 Sep 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it just happened to me!
photoshop has done something impossibel as i knew until now.

after opening my NEF file from Lightroom to Photshop, as I do always, I finished editing and CTRL+S 'd.

Tried to find the psd and didn't.

I  found that the NEF file increased to 290 MB and photshop opens it with all the layers!! 

apart from that that it ruined my original NEF file, it is something I thought cannot be done..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@yoavnir – It would appear that you have a PSD with a NEF extension, or possibly a .NEF.PSD or .PSD.NEF.

This appears to be something to do with the integration between Lr and Ps.

I would suggest that you create a new topic marked as a bug and provide the minimum info:

What is your operating system and version?

What is your version of Lr?

What is your version of Ps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi!

When you say that you are opening a RAW NEF file into Photoshop and editing it, are you using Camera Raw to edit it? Because, if you are, then the changes you make in Camera Raw will be made to your NEF file and saved in the sidecard data file. Are you going through CR to get to Photoshop and doing your editing or edting in Camera Raw?

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines