• English
      • Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Network Drive files "Could not open because file is locked, you do not have necessary permissions"

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have

I am a regular user of Adobe programs (mostly Photoshop, Audition, Lightroom and Premiere Pro) and as my partner is in IT/tech, he has set up a local network drive for me to store all of my countless PSD files/photos/full music/video files on there while my actual Macbook Pro has quite limited storage space.

While doing this has been incredibly helpful having unlimited hard drive space, in the past year about 50% of my PSD files and/or photos that are stored on the network drive (completely at random as to which) refuse to open in Photoshop, giving the message

"Could not open "_____.psd" because the file is locked, you do not have necessary access permissions, or another program is using the file. Use the ‘Get Info’ command in the Finder to ensure the file is unlocked and you have permission to access the file. If the problem persists, save the document to a different file or duplicate it in the Finder."

We have taken all the advice given online in regards to allowing full disk access/permissions on both my computer and the drives as well as he has tried multiple changes including changing drive formats etc (if asked, I can ask him to explain more clearly) over a long period of time.

The ONLY fix for this has been to transfer any troubled files that give the error message (which as I said, is totally random and inconsistent with which ones work and then don't) over to my Macbook's drive, open and then once finished, to transfer them back over to the network drive. However, this is WAY more extremely exhausting than it sounds considering the amount I use on a daily basis.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated as this issue is "pull my hair out"-worthy and comments I've seene elsewhere of "Adobe just doesn't like external/network drives" doesn't help in any way to anyone with this terrible issue.

Thank you so, so very much in advance!

*I also work a lot with Adobe Audition and Premiere Pro but this is never an issue in those programs.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may simply be an issue with how PS handles files and Apple's file system storing odd version/ file restoration info. I'm pretty sure if you check the problematic files you'll find such "garbage" data in the file info. Therefore it may be worth turning this off or using the file system utilities in the terminal to clean up this stuff. Disclaimer: Not a Mac guy, just saying this based on experiences here on the forum. This stuff used to be a real pain when APFS was new...

Mylenium 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You already mentioned this, but: If you are using Monterey, check your Mac's Security & Privacy settings for Full Disk Access and make sure your Adobe apps are all listed and checked there. Even if it was checked there before, sometimes a point update in OS will reset them.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2022 Oct 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately I've already done this but thank you for trying!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines