• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Neural filters crash system (version 24.1.0 on Windows 11 with AMD CPU/GPU)

Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2023 Jan 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I bought a new Asus Zenbook 14" Oled laptop (UM3402YA-KM143W), that has a gift of 3 months free Adobe Creative Cloud subsciption. So I've started using Photoshop (last version 24.1.0), to edit some photos.
The laptop has an AMD Ryzen 7 5825U CPU with an integrated AMD Radeon Vega GPU, and Photoshop  reports that is a totally compatible GPU.

But, if I use the GPU (both with D3D12 or Software mode), and Neural filters such as Photo Restoration, the display become black with some colored glitched lines, and the system totally blocked: I must to manually restart Windows 11 holding the power button of the keyboard.

If I disable the GPU, in CPU mode, the are no problems using the filter, but a bit of time to elaborate, with CPU going quite hot and at 100% with fan speed very fast (and noisy).

The driver of the GPU is the last one released by AMD for this Asus laptop (version 31.0.12034.4 released 21th September 2022) with Windows Update and by MyAsus live update utility, not the general AMD driver . But both AMD and ASUS reccomended to use only the one released by Windows Update and MyAsus utility.

Here my system info:

https://pastebin.com/raw/m864vEnG  

Thanks a lot.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Hi @Luca Pattaro curious if you have updated to the latest version of Ps, 24.1.1, and if this solves the issue?

Thank you,

Cory

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the post @Luca Pattaro.

Your sysinfo shows your AMD driver is 4 months old: 

Driver age:                   4 months

Have you gone to AMD directly to make sure it is the latest vs letting Win update do it?

Also, did you use this link to confirm that your system does in fact support Ps:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html

Thank you,
Cory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try going to Preferences/Technology preview and check Older GPU mode (pre-2016).

Your Radeon Ryzen 7 5825 U is below the minimum Ops/Sec speed recommended as minimums for Photoshop.

Your card clocks in at 1,395 and the minimum is 2,000.

That prefrence should help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also uncheck "Use Graphics Processor" for Neural Filters specifically:

JeffreyTranberry_0-1673552117265.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @CoryShubert ,

Thank you for your reply and suggestions.

From the AMD website, the driver are older that ones provided by Asus and Windows Update, and also AMD reccommend to use the one provided by Asus:

DriverAMD.png

And the notebook supports Photoshop, reading the Windows system requirements, and also the GPU is detected as compatible by Photoshop check:

PhotoshopGPU.png

Thank you,

Luca

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @J453 ,

thanks for your suggestion.
At the moment I've set GPU mode to CPU, so it's the same. I'm only using Neural filters at the moment.

Thank you,

Luca 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @kevin stohlmeyer , 

Thank you for your suggestion.

I've already tried that solution (GPU mode goes to Software), but the system blocked.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Luca Pattaro curious if you have updated to the latest version of Ps, 24.1.1, and if this solves the issue?

Thank you,

Cory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @CoryShubert ,

thanks for your suggestion.

I've updated Photoshop today and just tried.
If I use the Restore photo neural filter, also using the JPEG artifacts removal option, finally Photoshop now use the GPU!

GPU.png

The job is done very fast and without noisy fan speed.

The strange thing is that if I only use the JPEG artifatcs removal neural filter, the GPU doesn't work and olny the CPU works.

So, I can say the big issue was resolved, no more system block, but there's still something to adjust.

Thank you very much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines