Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New dirt artefacts appearing in all my documents

Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Today I started noticing that some weird white artifacts/pixels started appearing across my PSD documents. They also seems to adapt drop shadows from the artwork. But they do not disappear when I hide individual layers or effects, nor does the dirty drop shadow clutter disappear when I turn off all layer styles. Meaning it's super random. I worked in Photoshop all my life and have never come across something like this. 

When I hide ALL layers it disappears with them but as I said above they still presist while hiding individual layers so it seems like a software rendering bug.

photoshopIssue.jpg

It's also happening to all my documents. Not only this one. I've tried mixing with the performance settings for my graphic card but to no use. Also tried flattening the smart objects, removing masks etc. and nothing helps. Restarted the computer also and still there.

Would be very thankful for any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, did you try to disable legacy compositing in preferences>performance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I tried that and it didn't help sadly. 

Weird thing is that the shadow disappears when I hide one of my folders with smart objects. But the white pixels persist. 

I'm starting to think that the smart objects somehow are causing this. But they look totally fine when I check them out. They are just regular png's dragged into the document as usual/done for years. And somehow now it's causing this pixelation with drop shadow.

Thank you for your suggestion

--

Edit

I also sent the document to my co-worker to see if the problem persisted on his computer and it did

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant enable legacy compositing...

I would suspect stray pixels in the PNG or the smart object.

try to put a red 10 px stroke layer style around the offending PNG/SO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have tried both. 

It must be connected to layer styles somehow generating pixelated artefacts across the document (at an exact distance from eachother). Here's a picture with just one layer of the document visible. It has a number of styles on it. If I turn the styles off the pixels are not visible but they are still there. I can erase the pixels.

photoshopIssue2.jpg

This must be a bug in the latest version of Photoshop. Pretty annoying also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you apply Layer > Layer Mask > From Transparency and check out the Layer Mask to see if there might be pixels that are not fully black at those positions? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pixels generated are white. I didn't see them because my BG was white (sorry for the poor use of words in my previous post). This is how it looks without layer style. 

photoshopIssue3.jpg

And this happened to all layers in the document which had Layer Style applied to them as you can see in original post

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So there are image pixels and it’s not just a display issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, these pixels are generated for each layer with layer style on it. And they are eraseble.

I tried dragging a new layer into the project and applying layer style (stroke) to it but it didn't generate any pixels (yet) Not sure exactly when or during what circumstance it happened yesterday.

Only thing I did different yesterday (than usual) was that I worked in a Arrange > 2-up Vertical. Dragged layers between two other documents. And this particular document was in the background. Just thought I'd mention that.  

I work in PS every day. So will keep my eyes open if it happens in aother document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, do you mean that if you remove the layer styles, the pixels are not there????

That would be a first.

We suspect that those are pixels that have not been erased, or been created unintentionally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No that was just poor wording from my part. They are there and always white

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so it's a closed case 😉 glad to hear that you are all set now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean? 

Photoshop adds random particles to all my layers who has Layer Styles. 

I wouldn't call this a closed case. 

I can remove the particles/jitter created manually. But if I was a developer or reporting to the dev team I would try to recreate this issue by looking at what I wrote above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought that the artefacts were a drag and drop error, or stray pixels from one of the layers, and that the layer styles just made them visible.

Re-reading your original post, you say that they appeared in other documents, is it still the case?

What is the size of the documents?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same issue on layers that have fonts. The layers are transparent except for the type box and these pixelated thin clusters in lines arcross the document below. The layers are not editable unless I rasterize them, so I can't remove these dirt pixels. This is the only post I've found dealing with this problem.Dirt-Pixels.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide such a file (ideally with an Adobe font)? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was on a deadline, so no, the file is gone. In the first file I had imported smart images into separate layers in the file and the problem as seen above became evident. When I rebuilt the file, I rasterized the smart images before adding them to the file, and I had no problem at all. So evidently it has something to do with the smart objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, Grey, could you reproduce on another attempt?

What are the sizes of your documents, it seems that the OP had very tall documents as well.

Both of you are using smart objects.

Could you also share the contents of help>system info?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines