• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New font not showing up in photoshop [CS8.0] [2009] [LOCKED]

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2009 Jun 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This thread is 13 years old and things have changed. It is now locked. Please start a new thread or find a current thread if you are having an issue so we can provide better support for your problem.]

Hi

I have a new font (Gill Sans Shadowed) but it won't show up in Photoshop, yet it shows up in MS word.  Other fonts I added at the same time are showing up but this particular font won't show up. The file name is Gill Sans Shadowed.ttf & it was added into fonts folder in library. Am using an iBook G4. Photoshop CS 8.0.

Any ideas as to why its not showing and how I can get it to work?

Thanks

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Jul 09, 2010 Jul 09, 2010

Yes, Photoshop released an update -- make sure you installed it.

Beyond that, the only things that can make a font not appear in Photoshop while it appears in other apps: corrupt font, the OS font cache is corrupted, the OS font APIs are broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Jun 07, 2009 Jun 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of us here use a font Manager to activate our fonts. most of us use FontAgent Pro

Did you use font book? Apples built in font manager to activate the font.

You can also put the font in Photoshops font folder but it can only be seen by photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2009 Jun 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thanks for the reply.  I can't seem to find my photoshop font folder anywhere?

I pasted the font into the general font folder. It was pasted along with about 40 other fonts. Typically all the others have shown up, except for the one I need to use most!

I tried playing about with font manager but not exactly sure what to do with it & still won't work.

I even downloaded a trial of font agent pro but again, not exactly sure how it works but had a mess about with it but the font i need still won't show up in photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I was thinking of Indesign font folder.

Try putting the font in (your system drive) > Library > Application Support > Adobe > Fonts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the font is good, it should work if installed in the OS fonts folder.

If the font is corrupt, it won't work no matter where you put it.  Adobe does try to weed out corrupt fonts, but doesn't always tell you which ones had to be disabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suddenly started having the same problem. About 50% of my fonts stopped showing up in Photoshop. They were all fonts I installed in my user fonts directory. I tried copyinh the one font I needed right away to Library > Application Support > Adobe > Fonts and it worked. This directory was completely empty, aside from a folder "Reqrd."

My question is, why won't PS recognize the fonts in my user fonts directory or those downloaded to my system fonts directory anymore? Moving all my fonts (or worse, duplicating them) to the Adobe fonts directory is a crude hack. Please advise on a way to fix this.

The fonts are active, there are no conflicts and I only have one font manager running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely you installed a bad font, and the OS font information is now corrupt.

Resetting the OS font cache from the command line might fix it.

But I suggest running FontBook and validating your installed fonts first -- also, that will tell you which fonts your OS thinks it has installed.

I only have one font manager running.

You have a third party font manager running?  That might be important as well, since they are known to have bugs from time to time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.

Right now I am only using Font Book. The font works when I moved it to the Adobe font directory, so the missing fonts don't appear to be corrupt. They also work fine in other apps, like Pages. They used to show up and worked just fine in PS. I think there was a software update Adobe released a few days ago. Other than that, I can't think of anything that I might have done or changed that would have caused this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Photoshop released an update -- make sure you installed it.

Beyond that, the only things that can make a font not appear in Photoshop while it appears in other apps: corrupt font, the OS font cache is corrupted, the OS font APIs are broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also you should only have one font manager going at a time you need to turn off font book if you are using fontagent pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried going to the zipped folder and extracting the contents, and then going into the folder and click to view the fond and on the top left there should be an install option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem but not just for one font, for lots of my fonts I use regularly - my way round it for what I needed to do was open Illustrator, use the font, create outlines and copy it as a smart object into my PSD document. I right pain in the backside and Adobe really need to sort this out as my Photoshop (the latest 2022 version) shows lots of useless Chinese, Japanese, Arabic etc that are useless fot me that I can't delete or turn off but the fonts I want to use - half of them don't appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. All fonts load in Illustrator. Many fonts will not load in PS (2022). Very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys can you start a new thread for this please?  It sounds like it might be an issue but it won't be related to this thread that was started  13 years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines