Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New iMac, with color profile to use ?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I have a new Imac and am in the process of installing Photoshop. Wich color profile should i use on the imac-screen? "imac" or something else, so i have the best results of my pictures when i work with the RAW ?  

Thanks! 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not that simple. Actual color management is way more complex. You may want to study up on it:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/understanding-color-management.html

Start by leaving whatever is the default Apple monitor profile on the system and take it from there.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks! I leave it on the original "imac" color. I think it was the problem on my last Imac, it looks like it. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks! I leave it on the original "imac" color. I think it was the problem on my last Imac, it looks like it. 😉

By @simonev61797967

Maybe start with this primer on display calibration: 

https://web.archive.org/web/20070119043614/http://www.takegreatpictures.com/HOME/Columns/Digital_Pho...

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, never set the monitor profile as your Photoshop RGB profile. Even if it seems to get better colour, never do it, you make a bad problem worse!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have left it on "imac" color, thanks. I thuink that was one of the problems last time, but ik hope i can check it.

Can you help me with another simple thing? 😉  The screen brightness changes every time. If i leave it as "adjust brightness automaticly" in the system, it is always too dark, unless i change the brightness (with the keyboard) to the middle. My former imac has crashed, zo i can't look it up how it was.... (sorry for my english and the many questions) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of the more advanced Macs have light detectors, and adjust their brightness to match. You can turn this off. How to Adjust Your Mac’s Screen Brightness, Manually and Automatically (howtogeek.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you help me with another simple thing? 😉  The screen brightness changes every time. If i leave it as "adjust brightness automaticly" in the system

That is a feature of recent macs, the ability to adjust screen luminance based on ambient light. You can switch it off, as 'TestScreenName' wrote - I always do

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<moved from download and install >

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, this isn't all that complicated.

The monitor profile needs to be an accurate description of the display's actual and current behavior.

The monitor profile is a map, and it has to match the actual terrain.

This is why people buy and use calibrators. It will measure your display and write a profile based on that measurement. Until you get a calibrator, there should be a generic system profile that you can use in the meantime. It will probably be set up as default. The system profile will not be critically accurate, only roughly so. If you need absolute accuracy, you need to buy a calibrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope this might help you understand the situation more fully

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines