• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Layer Dialog doesn't open

Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm studying Phtoto Shop by Tutorial.  I'm expecting to open "New Layer Dialog" by double clicking Background layer. However other dialog opened instead.  I'm using Mac.  Detail is following.

< How to create error >

Start Photoshop > Help > Hands-On tutorials > Add visual effects > Create a symmetrical photo effect with a  Blend mode >  Start Tutorial > Blue Dialog " Double - click the Background layer to open the New Layer Dialog and convert it to regular layer. Click OK. "

So I double Click as instructed ==>  But "Layer Style Dialog"  opened instead of "New Layer Dialog"  Then I couldn't proceed this tutorial.

<<< How can I open "New Layer Dialog" as instructed by this tutorial ?  Please support me. >>>

< My System & Software Version >

Mac Book Pro 

macOS  Ventura 13.1

Adobe Photoshop 24.1.1

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

@Kazushige283590151tsj wrote:

Jane,
Thank you for Background Layer explanation.

You might try practicing on an image that is not the tutorial — it will be less frustrating! Try double-clicking different areas of the Background layer in the Layers panel, moving from right to left. (Up/down does not make a difference.)

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm expecting to open "New Layer Dialog" by double clicking Background layer. How can I open "New Layer Dialog" as instructed by this tutorial ?  Please support me. 

The way to get the dialog for New Layer is to hold down the Option key and click the plus sign [+] at the bottom of the Layers panel.

janee_0-1676079631159.png

In addition, if you double-click the Background layer, you will get the New Layer dialog. If you convert the Background layer to a regular layer by clicking the Lock icon, double-clicking opens the Layer Style dialog instead.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane,

Thank you very much for quick response.

I try "hold down the Option key and click the plus sign [+] at the bottom of the Layers panel" works for me.  I could see the "New Layer dialog" and successfully create new Layer.  However there is no further "Tutorial instruction" appeared.  So I couldn't proceed Tutorial.  Is there any way to proceed instruction ?

As for your further advice "In  addition ,,,,",  I couldn't see "New Layer Dialog" under any state of Lock icon.  So it seems still not work for me.

Kazu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kazushige283590151tsj 

If you want to double-click to open the New Layer dialog, the Layer must be a Background layer. You didn't say if it is or not.

To convert a layer to a Background layer, follow theses steps:

Convert a Photoshop layer into a background

Select a Photoshop layer in the Layers panel.

Choose Layer > New > Background From Layer.

Any transparent pixels in the layer are converted to the background color, and the layer drops to the bottom of the layer stack.

Details here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/layer-basics.html

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane,
Thank you very much for your quick and excellent advice.
Now I could "double-click to open the New Layer dialog". Thank you.
But Tutorial instruction was not updated at all. So I couldn't proceed this tutorial.

My original problem "New Layer Dialog doesn't open" was solved with your support.
But problem is changed to "Tutorial instruction is not updated.".
Do you know what I should do to complete tutorial ? Or is it better for me to open other thread ?

I summarized "what I did and what is current problem" in attached PDF. Please refer it.
I appreciate your support.
Kazu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane.

My problem for this thread is solved with your advice.  I opened new thread "Hands-on Problem" instead.  I'll close this thread (but I don't know how to do it.)  Thank you very much for your great support.

Kazu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane.

My problem for this thread is solved with your advice.  I opened new thread "Hands-on Problem" instead.  I'll close this thread (but I don't know how to do it.)  Thank you very much for your great support.

Kazu

You're welcome, Kazu. The way to close a thread is to mark one (or more) replies "Correct". 

If it's an Adobe tutorial, they can get stuck if you don't do it as per their instructions. Sometimes it's best to start over.

Welcome to Photoshop, and we are here to assist.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm studying Photoshop by Hands-on Tutorial.
But I couldn't finish tutorial "Create a symmetrical photo effect with a Blend mode". I think Tutorial instruction is not appropriate to proceed Tutorial.  Please support me to complete this tutorial.

I summarized what I did in attached PDF.
Kazu

< My System & Software Version >
Mac Book Pro
macOS Ventura 13.1
Adobe Photoshop 24.1.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Kazushige283590151tsj try starting the tutorial from the beginning and when you are instructed to double click the layer - double click the image portion of the layers panel. Based on your screen shots you went "off script" so the tutorial stopped.

kevinstohlmeyer_0-1676296270289.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin, thank you for your support.  Following is the screen image just after start this tutorial. I'm sure I double click the image portion of the layers panel.  Then "Layer Style Dialog" open.  "New Layer Dialog" doesn't open.  I tried this again and again...  And as you can see my screen shot below, there is no lock icon at this layer.  So I couldn't "double click"  Lock-icon as "PECourtejoie" says.  

I suspect this layer is already "Regular layer", because when I select "Layer > New" @ Top Bar , I could see "Background from Layer" instead of "Layer from Background".    "Background from Layer" appear for "Regular Layer", right ?

スクリーンショット 2023-02-13 23.13.35.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, in the other thread, I think I've found the problem was that @Kazushige283590151tsj  double-clicked on the lock icon. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, PECourtejoie,  thank you for your support for this and other thread.

As I replied to Kevin above,  there is no Lock Icon at subjected layer (please see the screen shot above).  So I couldn't double-click on the lock icon.

Kazu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to have someone merge these threads. you have competing posts for the same issue and its confusing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done.

@Kazushige283590151tsj good work: Indeed, yours has no lock, it is a layer named "Background", and double-clicking it gets you the layer style dialog. 

Go to Layer>New>Background from layer, or, in the layer panel,right-click to get Flatten image.

Now, double-clicking gets you the menu you want.

If the file comes from the tutorial, indeed, there is a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the layer which I double-click is not "Background Layer" but "Regular Layer".
That is the cause of this problem, isn't it ?

I noticed that "Background layer appearance has been changed when I start tutorial."
I think something has been changed for subjected layer at this time.
I attach the Video and summary PDF.
Kazu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the layer which I double-click is not "Background Layer" but "Regular Layer".

It's time to talk about the Background layer and explain it a little. The Background layer is a unique layer that cannot have transparency, cannot be reordered, cannot be moved, and has to be at the bottom of the Layers panel. It was a required layer through Photoshop 5.0. In those days it could not be deleted.

Then Alvy Ray Smith came up with the formula for transparency αA + (1-α)B and Photoshop 5.5 was released in 1999. The Background layer is no longer required. It can now be deleted or converted into a regular pixel layer. A pixel layer can also be converted to a Background layer as explained earlier in this thread.

Details here:

https://www.cs.princeton.edu/courses/archive/spring05/cos426/papers/smith95c.pdf

JPEGs don't support transparency or layers and will only have a Background layer when saved.

To convert a Background layer to a regular layer, you can click once on the Lock icon, which is most likely what you are doing. To finish the tutorial that rigidly wants you to only do the steps in order, keep away from the lock icon. Once you are working on your own files, it will no longer be an issue.

When you double-click the Background layer while doing the tutorial with the intent of opening the dialog, stay well to the left of the Lock icon.

I hope this helps.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane,

>> .. you can click once on the Lock icon, which is most likely what you are doing.
I don't click Lock icon.

As I said in PDF (ref section 2) which is attached in previous message, "Lock-icon" disappeared during "Tutorial start time" after clicking "Start Tutorial". I couldn't click Lock-icon when Tutorial program is running.

Anyway, thank you for your kind support. I think I can continue Tutorial study.

Kazu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane,

You might try practicing on an image that is not the tutorial — it will be less frustrating! Try double-clicking different areas of the Background layer in the Layers panel, moving from right to left. (Up/down does not make a difference.)

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the image is auto-converted, or not stored as a proper layer, there will be no way to continue the guided tutorial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, @Kazushige283590151tsj the only way to open the "Layer Style" dialog when double-clicking on the Background layer is if you double-click on the very small lock icon.

Click litteraly anywhere else on the layer thumbnail, its name, or even in the area around the lock, and you'll get the dialog you want.

In the past, a double-click was needed on the lock icon, and it was deemed non-consistent with the single-click on the lock icons.

I think that if you click anywhere else but there, the tutorial should be able to continue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the past, a double-click was needed on the lock icon, and it was deemed non-consistent with the single-click on the lock icons.

By @PECourtejoie

... and before we could click the Lock icon to convert, we had to convert the Background layer by double-clicking the name which renamed it. Now a double-click on the name goes into rename mode, but does not  automatically rename and convert.

Even before that (PS5.0 and earlier), the Background layer could not be renamed or converted at all.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, @jane-e @I did not know one coukd rename the background layer. Makes sense as its name is translated in other locales, so it should not matter in other compatible applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just want to add that I am having the same problem. The problem is that the file that comes with tutorial is already unlocked an not a background layer to begin with.

Converting the file by selecting New / Background From Layer and then trying to unlock by double clicking as advised by the tutorial pop-up doesn't work for me either. I'm just going to skip this tutorial, which is annoying. Hopefully this will be fixed in future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2024 Feb 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is still present in Feb 2024. Tutorial will not move past the original backgrund layer issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2024 Feb 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I am facing the same issue. The layer is already a normal layer, so by double clicking opens the Layer Style window.
If I am converting the layer into a background layer, by double clicking it opens the New Layer dialog, but the tutorial will not progress.

I am on Windows 11 Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines