Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

new to photoshop

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2022 Dec 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 

I'm still fairly new to working with adobe and i been having scratch disk problems. I have tried deleting some files and moving some to external hard drive but the problem still remains. I've been trying to make to photo good enough to print and i been its becoming pixelated once it goes to the larger sizes. The image right now is 6 inches by 4.5 inches and is 6000 pixels per inch.  

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 03, 2022 Dec 03, 2022

Why are you using 6000 pixels per inch? There is not a printer that is going to print that resolution and your file now measures 36000 x 27000 pixels! Even if you could find a printer that could print 6000 pixels per inch - your eyes are never going to resolve it. So all those additional pixels are wasted.

For small prints, viewed close, reduce the resolution to around 300 ppi (there is a theoretical argument for Epson printers using 360ppi but in practice you won't see a difference of photogr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you using 6000 pixels per inch? There is not a printer that is going to print that resolution and your file now measures 36000 x 27000 pixels! Even if you could find a printer that could print 6000 pixels per inch - your eyes are never going to resolve it. So all those additional pixels are wasted.

For small prints, viewed close, reduce the resolution to around 300 ppi (there is a theoretical argument for Epson printers using 360ppi but in practice you won't see a difference of photographs)

As for the scratch disk, you should have at least 100GB free on whatever disk you use for scratch.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Image > Image size.

Screenshot 2022-12-03 at 16.53.12.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, 6000 pixels per inch is a MASSIVE resolution. 300 is about the max you need for print. 

Your scratch disc should ideally be at least 20G at a bare minimum - more like 50 would help, but the bigger the better. Maybe plug in an external SSD and set that to be the scratch disk?

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OP was using 6000 PPI!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for pointing outy my typo Derek, edited now. 

have a good week

neilB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines