• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: How to export to SVG from Photoshop?

Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a PS file that has text that I converted to a shape, plus another shape. I want to convert that to an SVG file, but, when I use the Explort As dialog, the only export file options are GIF, PNG and JPG. If I do Save As, the only options are Photoshop, Large Document Format, Photoshop PDF, and TIFF. 

I searched the help system, there's nothing there that I can find. Did they remove SVG export from Photoshop?? I sure hope not. I have Photoshop 22.4.3. 

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Hi everyone,

I understand how difficult it must be not to be able to export into an SVG format through Photoshop. However, I wanted to suggest trying Adobe Express as a possible solution for converting your images into the desired format: https://www.adobe.com/express/feature/image/convert/svg?cgen=JQVGW3QK&mv=other

I genuinely hope this helps in your work. Let us know your feedback.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Hi all,

Export to SVG format functionality discontinued from Photoshop 22.5 version in August'2021 last year. This feature in Photoshop has always been experimental and discontinued due to low usage and limitations.

If you still want to export your Photoshop document as SVG, you can follow any of these workarounds here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/export-artboards-layers.html#discontinue-export-as-svg

For Apple M1 users: Open Photoshop using Rosetta and ensure Preferences > tec

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 251 Replies 251
Explorer ,
Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For making paths in PHOTOS? Honestly? ... I don't like putting pixel based photos in a vector based programm and making PHOTO EDITS in Illustrator, as this tool is not ment for this type of work either...
Makes no sense right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know what they say, use the right tool for the job.

Decide what output you need BEFORE you start your project— math-based vector or pixel-based raster.  It's way easier to pixelate a math-based vector rather than the other way around.

• Photoshop is best tool for rasters output.
  • Illustrator is best tool for creating vectors.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found out while finishing the project that svg is no longer available in photoshop...

I am sorry but I always make paths for cutouts of photo elements in photoshop (as you know you can use those paths in InDesign for example).

Anyway I found another way which was good for our online team, thanks for nothing I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do the photo composite in Photoshop and paths in Illustrator. Or forget SVG. Simple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it's about using the appropriate tool for the job. SVG is primarily a vector format. Illustrator is Adobe's primary vector application. It really is no more complicated than that.

If you really know what you're doing, you can make Photoshop output vector content in some scenarios - shapes, text, but not paths! And yes, you can put that in an SVG.

But let's be real: 99.9% of all SVGs from Photoshop would contain raster content. And those files would of course be rejected everywhere and basically not be usable. Those files should be PNGs instead. I'd go out on a limb and say that sometimes you need to educate people to keep them from bad habits and bad decisions.

If you're going to work with vector images, you need to use a vector application. That should normally be self-evident. This isn't what Photoshop is for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using paths would allow you to save without raster content... If you saved a path-only file it would be accepted everywhere*. I know because I did it and even used them to start off SVG animations, make responsive SVGs and make interactive SVGs. All for web content.

If you're going to work with SVGs you are NOW required to use vector appications, but it was once possible with Photoshop. What your claiming to be self-evident is false. It may not have been what Photoshop was meant for, but it worked fine if you knew what you were doing. It is also troubling to see people making this kind of statement when an offical Adobe stance is to use Adobe Express. Something that is extremely ill qualified for SVGs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using paths would allow you to save without raster content... If you saved a path-only file it would be accepted everywhere*. I know because I did it and even used them to start off SVG animations, make responsive SVGs and make interactive SVGs. All for web content.

By @GXC7243

==========

Professional content creators operate under different rules than amateurs.

As an example, Adobe Stock contributors cannot submit SVGs from Photoshop.  See vector requirements below. Notice the Illustrator specs.

https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/help/vector-requirements.html

That's just one example.  There are countless others where Photoshop SVGs would be unfit for commercial use. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a professional content creator, but nice slight Nancy; very productive. There are tons of examples where it is accepted and not just because of policies. Not every professional is required to upload icons and clipart to Adobe Stock. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stock assets are frequently used in commercial print industry  -- magazines, textiles and merchandise (t-shirts, tote bags, calendars, coffee mugs, etc..).  Print requirements exceed those of web display.  That's what I mean by "professional" content creators.  

Inasmuch as you don't require professional print quality output, you're free to keep doing business as usual with an older version of Photoshop.   Nobody here is stopping you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're typing without reading. I posted a way to use current versions and still save SVGs, yet you keep resorting to attempted one ups. I think you lack understanding how diverse the professional graphic design industry is. So what may be ok with you isn't ok for other professionals. You are not required to use PS to save your SVGs but some professionals were able to use it, and it made working a lot more efficient. In the web industry it is perfectly acceptable to use PS for saving SVGs. Not only is it acceptable but I've used it for making advanced SVGs; such as: animated, interactive and SEO powered. No one is saying all people have to use the PS SVG saving tool if it isn't ok for their work; that's you projecting. What is being addressed is limiting PS ability for no reason other than people were using it incorrectly. When what could have been done is make requirements for saving files as SVGs. Yours and other's arguments about PS not being the best place for SVGs is moot. Especially when considering the official stance of using Adobe Express for SVGs. A program that is far more limited and ill equipped for making proper SVGs. "Nobody is stopping you" from not using the feature, but there are people attempting to stop me from using it in current PS version; affecting my work's efficiency. There is a difference. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unacceptable, doesn't give professional results.

This feature was pretty much the only Adobe functionality I still use.

Probably a good time to cancel my subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly for me this is not a solution, as I have a PSD file with pixel data AND clipping paths - I need the picture as it is including the paths I made as an SVG. If I try it over the tool I just get a flatted svg image with no paths at all ...
Sadly not what I need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2023 Jul 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats no big deal... Adobe restored one day forgotten function : GENERATE IMAGE ASSETS - so easy - just name a layer *.png or *.svg and choose location ... wonderful is happening :D.  ... End of discussion xD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can always learn something new (or old). 😄 Haha thanks for that!

Though in my case it's not useable, as I need PATHS extracted, not just pixel files. 😉

But I found a solution for what I needed, thanks anyway to bring this up though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No way! Pure Vector based svg on export no crappy pixels. But remember always "merge shape components" before generating assets ;). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest exporting your file into Adobe Illustrator and choosing export for the web. The format has the SVG option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a few weeks ago before updating I was able to export as SVG, but that option is completely gone. I feel like this is extremely shady on Adobe's part. Just seems like a way to get more Illustrator subscriptions. There isn't even an option for me to use legacy export. Does anyone know what's going on?

iMac macOS Monterey

Screen Shot 2022-12-19 at 9.37.43 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-12-19 at 9.40.20 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can go to File > Export > Export As... (or right-click on a layer and select Export As...), and select SVG as the Format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That has been taken away.

Screen Shot 2022-12-19 at 10.20.54 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to mention that you would need to select "Use legacy "Export As" in the Export section of the Preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They took away the legacy option being displayed as default. You have to go through a few steps to reinstate the legacy options. I posted the steps to do it on Mac OS here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't have the solution. I have found the solution however. 

If your legacy options are not showing you have to change how Adobe Photoshops opens. For Mac OS:

Go to Finder > select Applications > select Photoshop Folder > Select Photoshop application and right click > Select info option > Select open with rosetta option in the info panel > Then relaunch Photoshop.

Screen Shot 2022-12-19 at 12.23.13 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-12-19 at 12.23.57 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-12-19 at 12.24.17 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-12-19 at 12.24.27 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-12-19 at 12.25.08 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-12-19 at 12.25.28 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe why did you do this?  It worked perfectly fine for years.  It allows me to work between Photoshop and many 3D packages.  It also enables me to export for 3D printing.   Supper dissapointed that you did this.  Please bring it back!!!  The solution posted in this Chat with Rosseta does not seem to work as the option is not displayed in the "Get Info" pannel anymore. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of photoshop and macOS are you using?

Open using Rosetta is only available on Apple Silicon processor macs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines