Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No spell check suggestions in Photoshop CC

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I am trying to use the spell check feature in Photoshop CC but whenever I use it, it never actually gives me any spelling suggestions. I will attach an example. If anyone knows how to fix this that would be great.

As you can see in the screenshot the word is obviously spelled incorrectly however the spellchecker does not give any suggestion on changing it.

AaronMclachlan_3-1648155228144.png

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

What version of Photoshop are you using? And are you on a Mac or Windows machine, running what operating system?

Let us know so we can help you figure out this problem!

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I'm running version 23.2.2 on Windows 10 on a Windows machine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Aaron Mclachlan 

What happens when you type in Proper Case instead of All Caps? Try "Chiken" and tell us if that works. Most spell checkers ignore Upper Case by default.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for the suggestion however I have just tried that and still got the same result.

AaronMclachlan_1-1648221238836.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Aaron Mclachlan 

I'm not in my office right now, but will check this later if another volunteer doesn't get a chance first.

I'm pretty sure "chicken" is not one of those words that has both a UK spelling and a USA spelling, but I noticed you have screenshots for each language. Which one are you trying to use?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jane-e 

I am preferably trying to use UK spelling, however, the original screenshot I sent shows English USA as I was initially trying to troubleshoot the issue myself and tried setting the text language to USA to see if that fixed anything, however, it didn't. Sorry for the confusion.

Aaron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Aaron Mclachlan ,

It's working for me, and I have a list of possible choices.

janee_0-1648235145895.png

I think that your dictionary is missing or corrupt. Can you try another typeface first to confirm?

• Resetting Preferences from Edit > Preferences > General might work (back up customization first).
  • Uninstall > use the Adobe Cleaner > Reinstall might also work.

But there might be another way and I am tagging Employee @J453 to assist. He might know how to get your dictionary back if the above does not work.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jane-e 

I believe that you are probably right that my dictionary is missing, as I have tried resetting preferences, and have done a fresh install of photoshop and the issue has not gone. I appreciate the help nonetheless. 

AaronMclachlan_0-1648238095648.png

Aaron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Aaron Mclachlan 

Did you use the Adobe Cleaner after the uninstall?

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Jeffrey should see this post, but you can also start a new post and label it as "Bug" instead of "Discussion".

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jane-e 

I did use the cleaner afterward. However, the issue is still there. Hopefully with the help of your colleague we should be able to fix this. 

Thanks again, 

Aaron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Aaron Mclachlan wrote:

Hopefully with the help of your colleague we should be able to fix this. 

Thanks again, 

Aaron

You're welcome, Aaron, but to clarify, Adobe Employees have an Adobe Employee badge. The rest of us (like me) are volunteers. 

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you see the dictonary file here?  C:\Users\username\AppData\LocalLow\Adobe\Linguistics\UserDictionaries\Adobe Custom Dictionary

Have you by chance added the misspelled word to the dictionary? https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/remove-a-misspelled-word-accidentally...

Does it have the correct read/write permissions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jeffrey

Sorry for the late reply.

I have checked all the folders under the custom dictionary, both the "added.txt" and "exceptions.txt" are empty for all the folders. This is also the case for the other files under "ATE Hyphenation Exceptions Dictionary" and "ATE User Dictionary" 

The files have full read/write permissions as well.

Aaron.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines