• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: PNG are imported with white background on iPad/mobile (iPad OS 15.x)

Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2021 Dec 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last night my ipad updated its self, with the latest version of software. Now everytime I import a PNG photo, it makes it have a white back ground. So its reckonizing it as a jpeg or something. super annoying. Can I turn off camera raw import?????

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
iPadOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 04, 2021 Dec 04, 2021

This unfortunately is an issue with iOS and the latest iOS 15 is where it consistently reproduces. Mine worked just fine in iOS 14.8, but after updating to iOS 15 I see the problem as well. The workaround you've mentioned (sending a folder to the Files app on iPad) appears to be the obvious workaround here for the time being.

Votes

Translate

Translate
15 Comments
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies if this has been posted before, I'm relatively new to Photoshop. I used to be able to import PNGs with a transparent background but now every PNG I import comes with a white background since the most recent update. Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out.

When you say import, how are you bringing them into Photoshop? 

You can't drag or paste a PNG from a website, for instance. 

You have to save it from the website with its .png extension, and load or place it in Photoshop.

If the PNG file has transparency, Photoshop will honor it if brought in that way.

The giveaway is if you drag or paste and it comes in with a white background.  That means the file almost certainly has a transparent background and will work if you load or place it from your hard drive.

Let us know if it helps.

Thanks & Regards,
Ranjisha

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the PNGs are files that I've saved that have transparent backgrounds and they were able to be imported before but when I import them now it comes up saying it's a raw file and it now displays a white background? It's only been since the latest Photoshop iOS update.

I'm importing it as a photo file if that helps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info.
Which operating system version you are working with? Also, would you mind sharing the file with me through a private message, so that I test the file from my end?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using English version of Photoshop?  PNG file are normally Opened into Photoshop  or placed into Photoshop document not Imported.   Are you Photoshop preferences set to show checkerboard for transparency in Backgrounds.

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I'm using the English version. I'm using Photoshop for iPad. I used to click on the image icon and then select photos. When I click my logo now though I get a RAW image that pops up. I'm just getting to grips with things so not really sure what I need to do at that point as I didn't have that action before.

C13CA4D7-E5D3-4C6B-9FEC-2B4C66B4601B.jpegCFFA1289-0F79-44B8-9023-A83DBE40F0C8.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your logo is a png file? that you created with? 

I just placed a vector image without the BKG..

Please explain...IMG_2060.PNGIMG_2061.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where does the PNG file come into play on yout iPad IOS Photoshop?  Have you tried saving your PNG on your desktop machine into the cloud as a PSDC cloud document?  I do not use Photoshop one my iPad pro 9.7 it screen is to small and there is too much of Photoshop missing like file support.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that actually worked! If I upload my PNGs to the creative cloud it will go in as a normal PNG. I don't really have a computer strong enough to run PS and I tend to use Procreate for illustrating so my 12.9 tends to be OK for that. But I'll agree the lack of features on the iOS version is incredibly frustrating!

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my iPad Pro I open iPad Photoshop and imported a png file off my PC workstation desktop JJMack.png and it opened with a transparent background. I do know how to really use iPad Photoshop ui I could not seem to move  layer position stacking location. I was able  to add a layer over the imported png layer  paint on it and paste the png layer over that layer layer to verify the background is indeed transparent.  So if you can access files your iPad it looks like png file work correctly in Photoshop. I have only configured my iPad the be able to read my PC disk  IOS mail seem to resize screen captires down in size or ios photo does when use by mail..

IMG_5216.PNG

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I do or I save it to my library!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue and I'm using an iPad Pro with the latest photoshop for iPad update

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And in my case it works on some documents but not others. Used the same exact photo file and on one document it's fine on the other it's not.33E01AF7-F7C5-413A-9113-0CFBD9DA85C5.jpeg00869408-4BB4-46A0-934C-3004743B276D.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also may have something to do with the ipad ios that just updated as well. I usually send png files from my imac via air drop, to the ipad, this saves the png files in my photos. When importing a png file into photoshop, the camera raw filter now pops and the image now looks like a jpeg with a white background. not sure if this is occuring from the camera filter or during the air drop, but this never happened before. I did find a way around it. To send the png files in a folder, then the ipad promts you where to save them. So i save them in the files location, now that ive saved them there i can import into photoshp through files and this by passes the camera filter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This unfortunately is an issue with iOS and the latest iOS 15 is where it consistently reproduces. Mine worked just fine in iOS 14.8, but after updating to iOS 15 I see the problem as well. The workaround you've mentioned (sending a folder to the Files app on iPad) appears to be the obvious workaround here for the time being.

Votes

Translate

Translate