• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Not able to type Japanese Characters in ALL Adobe products

Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Apple M1 Max, Mac OS 12. 1

All Adobe products will not allow me to type a bunch of Japanese characters.

Its NOT the font. It doesn't matter what font I use. They still don't come out.

I can type the text in any other program without issue. Microsoft Office, Affinity, Chrome, etc.

Seems to be specific to Adobe creative suite. I keep having to use Affinity Designer to type in Japanese, save as a pdf and then bring it in to photoshop, illustrator, or AE as outlines. 

Example text. 诚邀您莅临鉴赏新品 Look works fine here too! 

TOPICS
Cross-app workflows , macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @shaver80,

Which Japanese IME you are using ? Can you switch between Katakana/Hiragana options and see the results? Are you getting a beep while Typing characters? If you can share a video of the screen recording, it will be of great help

-Vinod

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you're on the current version of macOS 12 (12.6.1).

Senior Product Manager - Customer Advocacy - Digital Imaging

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vinod, I'm actually just copy and pasting from what the client sends me. This is new with the update. However if I do switch from Katakan or Hiragana the results are the same. I get a Box instead of the correct Kanji. All other programs on my machine can handle it no problem. Just Adobe ones. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating now. I will see how it goes. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly this did not fix it. Still working properly on all other applications. even the Text layer names shows them correctly. Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 2.18.18 PM.pngThis is the text is should be: 免费获赠精美饮品及解锁更多惊喜

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @shaver80

What is the font you use? The text you mentioned is in simplified Chinese. Japanese (Kozuka for example) or traditional Chinese (Adobe Fan Heiti Std for example) do not have some glyphs in the text, hence the boxes appear.

Use simplified Chinese font such as Adobe Heiti Std.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, if you set UI to Simplified Chinese, the default font Adobe Heiti Std is used automatically when you paste text.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! @ktaki that does seem to be a decent resolution for now. Its not the client font but will work. Again, client font and those glyphs work on other programs no problem. It also used to work in earlier versions. This is new with 2023 update. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mind telling us what the client font is? Again, if you set Photoshop UI to Simplified Chinese, pasting Simplified Chinese text should appear correctly without selecting a font explicitly.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ktaki Thank you so much for the help. It is a proprietary client font. Marc Jacobs. I apologize that I don't know Chinese well. I copy and paste what is given to me. I used to be able to copy and paste in that font style and it would apply the glyphs. I've been forced to use Affinity as a patch. I am still able to do that in their software. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@shaver80 It might be an issue with the loading the font, and a fallback font might be used. Can you see the font in the font menu of Photoshop? Select the type layer with the pasted text and select the font. What happens? Do you see boxes still? Where is the font installed in your system? Can you locate the font and make sure it has been installed properly? Please let me know the file path.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the font is loaded. I am able to see the font in photoshop menu. There is no * or anything indicating that it is not loaded. I'm using Extensis to manage my fonts. If I select the font and paste I see boxes. If I paste first and then change the font, I also see boxes. All other applications are able to use the font without issue. Since you asked that, I looked more closely and I am now noticing that Photoshop is defaulting to Kozuka for the Chinese and then still using the client font for English. I'm guessing that is the issue. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
@shaver80 Yes, if you paste Simplified Chinese characters when Ps UI is set to English, the font used for Chinese characters is Kozuka Gothic. There is currently no way to change it other than setting the UI to Simplified Chinese. You mentioned "If I paste first and then change the font, I also see boxes." When this happens, select a glyph appeared as a box. What is the font name appeared in the font menu in the tool options bar? Do you still see Kozuka or you see the proprietary font name?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines