• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

not compatible?

New Here ,
Jul 05, 2022 Jul 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have a 2012 macbook pro and the new photoshop cc is very laggy because of my graphics card., what version can i use thats good?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The only other version available for download from the Creative Cloud is 2021

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

What are the system specs of your system, GPU, RAM and disk space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your computer is too old for the GPU to be supported, and is no longer supported by Apple as well.

You can install an older version of Photoshop, try CC2019 to see how that works. Check the ProDesignTools website for download links but be aware that you are living on borrowed time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But why should we be forced to spend thousands on a new computer just so we can do some photo editing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because that's how the computer industry works. Your computer is ten years old, NO LONGER SUPPORTED by either Apple (no more security updates) or Adobe, and its time to buy something newer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And a new M2 MacBook Air, which will run circles around your old machine, is under US$1500.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not everyone has money for a new computer, have you seen the cost of living lately?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Steve25091388wdhp wrote:

Not everyone has money for a new computer, have you seen the cost of living lately?

If a new computer is needed, it doesn’t need to cost “thousands” as you replied earlier. A $699 M1 Mac mini or a $999 M1 MacBook Air would be many times faster than any 2012 Intel Mac. And those are just the new models. The last several years of used/refurbished Mac models are also available, with higher memory and storage specs, for less than $1000 and can run Photoshop well.

If this is for a business, then it can be part of your deductions for business taxes and will easily make back its expense.

If this is just a hobby that does not justify funding a new computer even once a decade, then the full power and most advanced features (which are what make the higher system requirements necessary) of the latest Photoshop version probably aren’t necessary. You could then use any number of other Mac photo editors that can do much of what Photoshop can do for much less money or even for free, and the simpler ones will run better on older Macs.

Or install a version of Photoshop that is old enough to run well on your Mac. You won’t find that in the official installer that supports only the last two major versions, but they are available through the ProDesignTools link already posted.

So, there are lots of options. Just don’t expect a 2012 Mac to run the latest version of anything at top speed. Today’s versions are optimized for today’s hardware, a decade more advanced than a 2012 Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps in some cases one time fee Photoshop Elements can do the job for hobby?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I own a mid 2012 Macbook Pro. It's very flexible for adding memory and storage without paying a technician.  I upgraded the ram to 16 GB and the SSD to 2 TB. It will take MacOS 10.15.7, but no further. I recommend 16 GB because it will allocate1600 MB ram to the Intel 4300, more than enough to run it.

Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 12.06.53 PM.png

Still I can run Photoshop 2022 but there are a few features that I can't use. 3D, Lighting Effects and the Render Tree filters. You can still use Adobe Camera Raw. Also depends on how large your files are. If you keep it below 1 GB, you'll be fine. If they are hefty and require 100s of layers, you will have to go forward a few years and there are some good used models if you can't afford the latest.

That being said, you can try a memory/SSD upgrade or find a used Macbook on Amazon that can meet the specs. You don't need a new one.

Alternatively you should be able to get Photoshop 2020 or less via support. They can provide a fully updated version if you open a chat with them. It can handle your video card better. I have never had to do this, I tend to keep older versions.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I already have those specs but the open gl is still showing as red 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, see if an older version of Ps or a newer, inexpensive  model helps. We are basically dieting on luck holding on to 10 y.o. unsupported hardware. 

You could try a preferences reset. It might help getting the Gpu sniffer to recognize opengl. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just out of curiousity is your 2012 MacBook Pro a 13 or 15 inch model?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines