• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Not Enough Ram

New Here ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So i keep getting the not enough ram message.  I've done the steps that i have found in this community as well as elsewhre online - increase usage % to 100% - close out other programs etc.

At times, i've found if i close down photoshop and restart it, etc that it will work again.  But it doesn't work all the time right away - i may have to do it several times. 

Also, i checked my RAM specs and it says that I have 16GB and have 15.8 available.  

Anyone have any additional thoughts? I thought about getting additional RAM put in if i can, but not sure thats really the isssue?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.
More RAM is better, but 16GB will normally be ok for most work, the other thing is to have plenty of spare hard disk capacity.

Resetting the Photoshop preferences back to the factory defaults can also often help with unexpected issues. You can do that under the General tab in Photoshop preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Derek, I appreciate the comment.  I'll give that a try and see if it helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Derek, just so you know o i did that, and it seemed to be working.  Within 15-20 minutes or so however it just went back to the same "not enough ram" message when i try to do anything. Guess i'll try getting more RAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Don't give Photoshop 100% RAM, your operating system alao needs RAM as do any other applications and processes. Around 70-75% should be fine.

What size documents are you working with (pixel dimensions and layers)? Obviously larger documents require larger memory space.

Photoshop continuously swaps RAM and disk - what free scratch disk space do you have?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave, thank you for commenting.  I did move it back to 70% as it really didn't seem to help increasing it anyway.  So, for file sizes I've had an image for example that maybe is 1500X2000 and i get the same error with the 72 resolution even if I was first trying to work with it being larger.  It doesn't seem like its really mattered because even when i have had smaller projects i'll get the Ram message even if i'm trying to save it the psd file or simply trying to export it out as a jpg.   As you can image thats pretty frustrating.  

Not sure if i went to the right place on the scratch disc stuff.  but i went to photoshop-preferences-scratch disks - and on the c drive it says that i have 247gb free, and then on an f drive which is my external that i do the work off of says i still have 191 gb free. photoshop is saved on my c drive, but 99% of the files are housed on my external f drive.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you confirm that is 1500 x 2000 pixels and not inches or cm? Sorry to ask, but it is a mistake we often see here.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct,  pixels. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines