Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Not showing distance between layers when line is created with pen tool

Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the latest version of Photoshop. When I draw a line using the pen tool (two anchor points,) Photoshop does not display the display the distance between that shape layer and other layers when using the move tool with the control key held. However if draw a line using the line tool, Photoshop shows me the distance

between that shape layer and other layers. Why is this? (I am not sure if this is bug.)

Thank you

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a Dell Inspiron 15 Inch 7591 2-in-1 laptop running Windows 10 Home 22H2. Photoshop version: 24.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also on Win 10 22 H2 running latest Photoshop. Transformation values are shown when moving shape or pixel based layer using Move tool which is activated (switched to) by holding down Ctrl. Not a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bojan, 

Please see my reply to @c.pfaffenbichler below. 

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check Preferences > Tools > Show Transformation Values.  If it is set to Never change to where you'd prefer it be.

image.png

That will show you how far an object has been moved as below.

image.png

I am not so sure this shows the distance between objects/layers though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trevor, 

Please see my reply to @c.pfaffenbichler below. 

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure I understand your issue; could you post meaningful screenshots to illustrate? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Here is the steps to show you the difference between the Line tool vs the Pen tool: 

Line tool
1. Create two lines on separate layers using the Line tool.
2. With the first layer (Line 2) selected, click on the Move tool.
3. Hover over the first line with the control key held down. It will show you the distance between line 1 and line 2. See attached screenshot.

Screenshot (29).png
Pen tool
1. Using the pen tool only, create two lines (just two anchor points) on separate layers.
2. With the first layer (Shape 2) selected, click on the Move tool.
3. Hover over the first line (Shape 1) on the canvas with the control key held down. The unexpected behavior is that it displays no distance between the first line (Shape 1) and the second line (Shape 2.) See attached screenshot: 

Screenshot (30).png

The expected behavior is that it should show you the distance between the first line (Shape 1 and Shape 2.)

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A two-point-path (with no bezier handles) has no area. 

Edit: Though the distance seems to get displayed for Shape Layers with two-point-paths that are not vertical or horizontal. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the explanations! I just tried to make a two point path diagonally with the pen tool for Shape Layers and the distance between them gets displayed. This seems weird to me to not display the distance between the two point path (the Shape Layer, that is vertical or horizontal) and other layers. They should all function the same way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I can see what you are asking about now.

Smart Guides need a point of reference to show a distance.  In your two Line layer example, it will show when they are equidistant to each other reference to the moved layer's starting point, like below

image.png

If you have a single Line layer and Ctrl Alt drag the line to make a copy on the same layer, it will show the distance moved throught the operation.  

image.png

In fact it can show both values at the same time.  Note that the units depend on how the rulers or Preferences are set.  I have changed the rulers to millimeters to demonstrate.

image.png

You can find more information on how Smart Guides work on the Help page

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines