• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Now Photoshop won't even attempt to print?

Enthusiast ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all.

Photoshop (CC 2018, Mac) now doesn't even attempt to send data to the printer.

You pull up the print dialog, and the first problem is that the paper size may very well be wrong. Last time I printed it was to a 4x6, and now (regardless of the document) the default document size is 4x6... and it ignores changes to the paper size.  You can select letter-size in the print settings, but the preview still shows 4x6 unless you toggle the orientation.  Then it magically updates.  So that's one bug.

Then you press Print... and nothing happens.  It doesn't even launch the OS's printer functionality.  This happens regardless of printer chosen, or document.  I have rebooted, and all other apps print fine to the same printer.  Preview prints the same file to the same printer without a problem.

Is this a known defect introduced with a recent update or something?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shoe what you are doing with a screen capture so we can see what you  are actually doing...

Supply pertinent information for quicker answers

• The more information you supply about your situation, the better equipped other community members will be to answer. Consider including the following in your question:
  • Adobe product and version number
  • Operating system and version number
  • The full text of any error message(s)
  • What you were doing when the problem occurred
  • Screenshots of the problem
  • Computer hardware, such as CPU; GPU; amount of RAM; etc.
JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.  Here's what's happening under Mac OS 10.13.2, latest Photoshop CC 2018. And then if I press Print, nothing happens. The dialog closes, but Photoshop makes no attempt to print.

Illustrator and all other apps print fine to the same printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I've not had that myself but have come across countless users who fixed the [Adobe Photoshop won't print] issuse this way:

Re-create the Photoshop preferences file

"To restore preferences quickly using a keyboard shortcut: Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you startPhotoshop. You are prompted to delete the current settings. The new preferences files are created the next time you start Photoshop."

3 Aug 2017 .  - here's a link to the full info

Preferences in Photoshop

if that’s not fixing it,  I suggest you have a look here: Troubleshoot Photoshop printing problems

I hope this helps

if so, please do mark my reply as "helpful" and if you're OK now, please mark it as "correct" below, so others who have similar issues can see the solution

thanks

neil barstow, colourmanagement

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  This is the old delete-the-preferences-file "solution" that has been trotted out on Mac programs for 20 (or 30?) years.  Sad that this is still the workaround.

In the end, I switched printers and (despite the problem happening on the other printer too earlier), Photoshop did finally start communicating with that printer.  I knew something was different when it badgered me about ColorSync three times in a row for ONE printout; then it did in fact invoke the printing function.

When I switched back to the other printer, the paper-size issue had magically disappeared and PS invoked printing on that printer as well.  Therefore I didn't delete my preferences file, because I really don't want to have to go back and fix them all over again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hia M,

Yes I know about the "delete preferences" and recreate them frustration, I guess, though, it's the same as it's always been, preferences can get corrupted.  Especially with crashes, freezes and hard shut downs.

For most user with the non printing problem it seems to be the universal fix.

With Adobe Apple and Epson involved i guess its inevitable there will occasionally be issues.

neil barstow, colourmanagement

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off Font Preview

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this very issue and was able to resolve it by re-adding the printer and deleting the original device.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great reply CBMT. Was amazingly frustrated because photoshop wouldn't print to my new b/w laser printer, but did as you suggested, and deleted and re-added my printer and all now works fantastically. THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's 2022 and I have the same issue with my printer now. I can print on my other printer but not my Epson. When I click Print, it just goes in neverland.  I even tried connecting printer to wifi but it didn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IF it’s a MAC, reset printing system, if not see general advice below:

On your Mac, choose Apple menu System Preferences, then click Printers & Scanners

Press and hold the Control key as you click in the list at the left, then choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears.

After you reset the printing system, the list of printers in Printers & Scanners preferences is empty.

Reinstall the print driver, only from the manufacturer, not Apple.

Also take a look at the following article and check if that helps: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/printing-color-management-photoshop1.html

You may like to re-install the printer drivers to check if that makes a difference?

Here is some general Adobe [Mac and Win] info on printing problems,

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-printing-problems.html

Simple reset: hold the space bar when you open the print window. It resets the print dialogs

• - - - - - - -

If that doesn’t help -

Here’s some troubleshoting advice:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Perhaps try resetting Photoshop preferences?

(read this entire post before acting please)

Resetting restores Photoshop's internal preferences, which are saved when Photoshop closes.

If they become corrupt then various issues can occur.

Here’s some info on how to do that:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Manually removing preferences files is the most complete method for restoring Photoshop to its default state: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually

The user Library folder is hidden by default on macOS.

To access files in the hidden user Library folder, see here for how to access hidden user library files.

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/access-hidden-user-library-files.html

Unexpected behavior may indicate damaged preferences. Restoring preferences to their default settings is a good idea when trying to troubleshoot unexpected behaviors in Photoshop. check out the video

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#reset_preferences

Learn how to access and modify Photoshop preferences and customize per your frequent workflows

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

And here’s an earlier forum discussion as an aid to understanding

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-reset-photoshop-pre...

You may want to backup your settings and custom presets, brushes & actions before restoring Photoshop's preferences.

Here is general info about that:  https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#BackupPhotoshoppreferences

Before you reset your preferences, in case of future issues, I suggest you make a copy as Adobe may need one to check problematic references. 

Quit Photoshop.
Go to Photoshop's Preferences folder

Preferences file locations: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/preference-file-names-locations-photoshop.html\

[in MacOS see: Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings

be aware that the user Library folder is hidden by default on macOS.

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/access-hidden-user-library-files.html

In the Finder, open the “Go” menu whilst holding down the Option (Alt) key.

Library will now appear in the list - below the current user's “home” directory. ]

Now you can drag the entire Adobe Photoshop [Version] Settings folder to the desktop or somewhere safe as a back-up of your settings.

Note that on macOS:

Preference preservation is affected by macOS permissions,

you’ll need to allow Photoshop ‘Full Disk Access’ in your Mac OS Preferences/Security and Privacy

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a brand new pC build 7k worth everything works fine but can't print to my dye sub printer

i hit print and nothing happens have to be a bug? I have tried just about everything nothing works 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this just trying to print from Photoshop, or from all applications? 

Give us a bit more info and we;'ll try help you 

neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i can print from windows 10 no problem. but try to print from photoshop it does not work

it goes through the print queue and out of it fast which does not start up the printer..

i have 128gb of ram 12900ks z690 motherboard. runs very fast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines