• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

NVIDIA and Photoshop crashes

Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2022 Jul 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started having an issue with Photoshop freezing up and then not recognizing my NVIDIA GPU around July 1st, or maybe end of June. 

I have a Dell Inspiron 7591 2-in-1 with integrated Intel and NVIDIA GeForce MX250. 

CTRL ALT DEL to shut down Photoshop and upon restart PS it would give the "Your graphics processor is incompatible" and only detect Intel and not NVIDIA. 

Photoshop incompatible graphics.jpg

Here are all the things I've tried so far.  About to start remote session with Dell, on day 5 of my ticket with them.

1. Uninstalled Photoshop (23.4.1) and reinstalled a prior release (23.3.2). No dice. Updated back to 23.4.1
  2. NVIDIA Control Panel, set Preferred GP to Hi-Perf NVIDIA, and individual programs, set Photoshop to NVIDIA and sniffer to NVIDIA. Then noticed the "Windows OS now manages the selection of graphics processor. Open Windows graphics settings".  Doh!  This may be because it's Windows 10 Home and not Pro?
  3. In Windows Graphics Settings, set Photoshop and sniffer to High Performance. 
  4. Dell had me uninstall NVIDIA Driver but NOT all Driver Software. Restart. Next day, using Photoshop, switch to Chrome for a bit, back to PS and it froze.  NOTE: When this happens, NVIDIA GPU goes to 0% AND the temperature display disappears.  (When working, it rarely goes above 10% and never above 60 degrees C.)  Photoshop doesn't say it's not responding or anything, it's just inoperable and displays a bunch of screens all gobbled around.  Also, sometimes when I walk away for a bit, I can't get my screen to come back up - it's just black and slightly back-lit. I have to to a hard restart via Power button.
  5. Next, Dell has me uninstall both Display Driver and both Monitor Drivers. Run the same BIOS update I already ran back in May. Restart and download and reinstall all drivers. 
  6. Still, I can only use Photoshop for a few minutes and if I switch to another program at all, NVIDIA seems to die.  Driver says it's working properly. Photoshop doesn't say it's Not Responding even. Just NVIDIA GPU goes to 0% and temperature display disappears. Restarting Windows is the only thing that fixes it.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like it's ONLY Photoshop that causes the NVIDIA GP to "crash" like this.  I've been working in Illustrator with NO issues.  

Dell took remote control of my machine yesterday. Stress test on NVIDIA, Passed. They said they were going to do some further research and get back to me. Fingers crossed. 

Might try to reinstall an even older version of Photoshop.  Will update later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 09, 2022 Jul 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not alone. Dell Precision 7720 here with NVIDIA Quadro P3000 and the EXACT SAME ISSUE. It's been so infuriating.

I have tried pretty much all the same things as you and some more tricks and I can only get a few minutes out of each Photoshop session. The computer always wants to revert back to the other GPU an Intel 630 which is basically only good for email, web surfing.

This is impacting even older versions of Photosop and other intense graphic applications or plugins.

I've had support sessions with NVIDIA, Adobe, Dell and Microsoft. They all point fingers at each other.

Today I'm going to try and use the DDU clean driver uninstaller in safe mode to remove my Intel Driver, re-install and then remove the NVIDIA one (can't remember if it's Dell's approved one or NVIDIA's latest, I've tried both) and then re-installing an NVIDIA driver from back like in December or January that was always more stable.

I'm starting to see other reports of this tricke in at Dell and other websites. To me this seems like a combination of some update from Dell and or Microsoft not playing well with NVIDIA.

While not helpful I am finding my trial of Affinity Photo will last me several hours before running into issues. I think it is less resource hungry. It's not as nice as Photoshop, but I (like you) have dritical work I need to get done and this has been a lifeline of sorts.

Please, pretty please report back and solutions you find and I will too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. It started sometime in the last couple of weeks or so.  I have a Dell XPS 9550 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M.  Once Photoshop crashes, even after robooting, I get the same screen wth graphics processor compatibility screen as above.  The only way to get everything to work again, is to resotre windows to an earlier restore point, every time as Photoshop crashes inevitably and I am back to restoring my PC again.  I've run Dell SuppportAssist and found no hardware or driver issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for your troubles too. So far that very old NVIDIA driver is working PERFECTLY. I've been working for days without issue. Something about the last few NVIDIA drivers for my machine and Photoshop don't play nice together.

I've reached out to some Adobe employees and reported this is a thing, but I don't know if they are listening. Definitely something going on with Windows, Photoshop, NVIDIA users, especially on Dells.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I found an older version of my Nvidia driver from May of 2020 Dell that seems to have solved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for this thread. I have the exact same issue with Photoshop and my Dell Inspiron. I hope they can get this right soon 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello! Did you resolve the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Honestly, I hobbled on an older NVIDIA driver for a while, but would get the occasionally hard BSOD and then one day the computer finally just died. Wound up replacing the machine. Funny thing is I have had two BSOD with the same error on this machine, a total different brand laptop and model. Convinced this is an Adobe / NVIDIA conflict.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines