Object Selection Tool crashes Photoshop

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 23.0.1 insta-quit/closes "crashes" for me as well - immediately on clicking on the object selection tool.
All other functions in PS seem to work sofar.
Windows OS does not crash nor does the PC, just PS.

It does not seem like crash reports are generated (if they are I have yet to be able to find them).
Brand new i7-12700K PC with 64GB RAM, win 11 pro, and an Nvidia GTX960 GPU. All drivers and software are up-to-date (have November 2021 dates).

After finding this thread and doing some troubleshooting I have found:

• Photoshop v22.5.1 works fine (thank you to @Kukurykus for the suggestion), no issue with the same object select tool (I am using this version as a workaround until v23.0.x is fixed).
  • On v23.0.1 with very small 50x50 pixel files, the object select tool does not crash PS. Once I get up to a ~250x250 pixel, blank new file, the object select tool starts to crash PS to the Win 11 desktop.
  • The crashing behavior happens regardless of all of the existing troubleshooting steps (mostly around video card setting and drivers).

So, in short - with 2 versions of PS installed at the same time, and one works but the other crashes, it seems to be an issue with v23.0.1 that does not exist in v22.5.1.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Steph218128400la1 Are you seeing a crash or freeze where you need to force quit. If the former - I'm not seeing any submitted crash reports from you in our system. If you haven't done so already, please submit all Crash Reports along with your email address: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/submit-crash-reports.html

Couple of things to try:

1. If you restore your preferences using this manual method does it work correctly?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually 

If that doesn't solve it, you can quit Photoshop and put the Settings folder back.

2. Go to Preferences > Performance... and uncheck Use Graphics Processor. Restart Photoshop. Does the problem persist?

Senior Product Manager - Customer Advocacy - Digital Imaging

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same issue and I can tell you that it is beyond frustrating. Why have this new tool if it crashes Photoshop everytime I try and use it? I've upgraded my computer so that there's a ton of ram to use and this still happens. Any ideas?

Am I the only one having an issue? I don't see any others reporting this...

Kyle May

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also don't get the crash report prompts and yes...I've tried opening the dialog as suggested above and that doesn't work either.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2022 Mar 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same system crash issue when trying to use the Object Selection Tool using 23.2.2 or any 23.2.x versions. Computer immediately reboots itself.  I downgraded to PhotoShop 22.5.1 and the problem no longer exists.

I've reviewed many posts from others having the same problem. Seems to be diverse set of equipment specs with no real consistent component among everyone except a Intel CPU.

I was using the onboard Intel UHD graphics. Then, thinking that was problem upgraded to a MSI-nVidia 4gb card but still had the same issue.

TEMPORARY FIX: Disabling Intel Turbo Boost Technology in BIOS fixed the problem in PhotoShop v23.2.x

My hardware;

Motherboard - ASRock B365M Pro4 (BIOS v4.50 8_17_2021)

16GB Ram

Intel i7-9700k @ 3.6GHz (not overclocked)

MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB (driver v30.0.15.1179)

Windows 10 Home 19044.1586

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm I am having this same issue and I have a Ryzen R9 3950x CPU with an RTX 3080 GPU.
It seems to be an issue with the codecs within the program if I had to guess. Rolling back my save now to hopefully fix this issue.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did your rollback of the GPU drivers fix the issue @Chewyshoot239787713jr5 ?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the fix? Thsi is terrible and I do this for a living? I generate report after report and send it to Adobe and no response. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same issue. These reports date quite far back would have thought this would be resolved by now. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Save time with Adobe Express quick actions