• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Only able to open 2 files at a time on Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop was working fine until about this week. I used to be able to open multiple files on photoshop. Now when I open more than 2 files at a time, photoshop just freezes and spins. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling. Any insight? I'm on a PC. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Need more information:

Specific PS version, OS version, Hard Drive available space, Allocated Scratch Disk space (under preferences/scratch disk), GPU/Graphics Card(s) and VRAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for your fast response and help.
Photoshop 2021 (latest version and updated. I have the subscription)

Hard Drive Space available: 663G on my C Drive & 490G on my working drive where my files are.

Allocated Scratch Disk Space: 663G

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon RX5700

Not sure if VRam is the sam as RAM, but have 32g of RAM. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two things to try and some questions:

Have you tried resetting your PS Preferences? Go to Preferences/General and click "reset prefs on quit" then relaunch PS. Keep in mind your scratch disk allocation will reset.

If that does nothing then try going to preferences/technology preview and check "Disable native canvas". Restart PS.

Also regarding your scratch disk do you have your main HD listed as well? If so is the pecking order correct? You can adjust using the controls on the right of the window. The primary will fill first before going to secondary.

How large (px dimenions and file size) are your files you are trying to open?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You Kevin. Resetting preference and disabling Native Canvas did not work. I have gone as far as uninstalling and reinstalling PS. 

I just optimized both HD scratchdisk and the HD pecking order is correctly set to C drive first at 663g and then my working drive 490g. 

The files I'm working with are jpg 5-10mb files. I have been working with photoshop for over 10years as a professional creative and have never had issues opening mulitple files like these. I've had multiple prgm running and have worked with large files size without ever an issue.

Not sure what changed this week that could cause this crash everytime I open more than 2 photos in PS. It has caused a bottleneck in my workflow. When it does freeze/crash, I have to go into my task manager, end the program, and when I re-open it, all the settings I have custimized resets to default. Even my saved workingspace. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you go to Preferences > Performance... and uncheck "Use Graphics Processor" - restart Photoshop, does the problem go away?

If so, you may need to update your driver, or update your graphics card altogether. https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html#DisableGraphicsProcessor 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines