• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opening files takes several minutes

Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2021 Oct 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently using Photoshop 2020 (21.2.12) on a Windows 10 Pro Virtual Machine. This is my work computer, so I have no choice regarding the Photoshop version, or hardware configuration.

About a week ago, Photoshop started taking around five minutes to open files, regardless of size or type. It happens if I double click on a file to open, as well as when I alt-double click within other programs (such as InDesign) to edit. The only thing that works to open a file immediately is to drag and drop. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Photoshop and that didn't solve the problem.

Is there anything that could cause this? Or anything I can do to try to fix it? I've switched to mostly drag/drop to open files, but my job often requires me to edit photos that are saved within a CRM system that I don't have access to the actual folder location and the only way I can access those is to alt-double click.

Any help would be appreciated.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Edit>Purge>All

-edit- Here is an article with more tips on enhancing performance:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but for some reason, when I go to Edit > Purge, all the options except "Video Cache" are greyed out. I'll have to spend some time going through the article you linked and see what else I can try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently using Photoshop 2020 (21.2.12) on a Windows 10 Pro Virtual Machine. This is my work computer, so I have no choice regarding the Photoshop version

By @Day IT02

Are you sure about this? I'm using a Teams/business license at work, and it works the same way as my standard personal license. I still get the CC desktop app where I can update to run any version I want.

Being locked in to a specific version is not how the CC is supposed to work. But maybe you have a different type of corporate license?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately it has nothing to do with the license - it's down entirely to the supplementary software we use. I work designing ads, and the advertising tracking software is only compatible with CC up to 2020, for InDesign and Photoshop, so I can't upgrade because it will break that compatibility and I won't be able to work within our tracking system. Upgrading would normally be my first instinct, but sadly it is not an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe file management related to Photoshop is now nonexistent. I can hardly use open menu to open photoshop files. Double clicking PSD files in windows or Open in Photoshop buttons in other Adobe apps takes 5+ minutes to give any result. Reinstall does nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I now try to reinstall to some really old version, but  uninstall cannot be done because photoshop still running far back in the background so that cannot be found in Task manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used Adobe Cleaner tool, removed everything. 0 effect. Anyone else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Only change is that starting up Photoshop is now also 5 minute process.
Apparently I do not know how to edit posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines