Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opening .JXR files in Photoshop CC 2022

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys,

Is anyone having issues since upgrading to Windows 11 with opening .JXR files? I have the plug-ins installed and had no problem opening them before.

I want to edit the 4K UHD screenshots from my Xbox Series X, I love Cyberpunk aesthetic and have tonnes of beautiful images I've taken within Cyberpunk2077 with HDR that I would like to pull into my Graphic Design work. I can't work out what's changed when I try and open the files in Photoshop I'm met with "Could not complete your request becuase it is not the right kind of document."

any suggestions?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Photoshop are you running and what is the update date on the plugins?

It could be that the plugins are not recent and either A do not work with Win 11 or B are not compatible with newer PS versions.

Can you open the JXR in Windows Photo Viewer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JXR does work natively in windows photoviewer. 

There apparently used to be an old plugin but it doesn't work anymore. 

Download JPEGXR Plug-in for Photoshop (Windows) from Official Microsoft Download Center

Native support would be appreciated as this seems like a fairly mainstream format. (Along with HDR display support in photoshop please)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can search for and upvote or file a new request for native JXR support under the Ideas tab of the Photoshop forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

So the plugin provided by Microsoft works with Win10 and not with Win 11?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if it works with 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The JXR photoshop plugin from microsoft linked in this thread still works here on both windows 10 and 11 with photoshop 2022 (23.5)

Users need to make sure they install the x64 version (JPEGXR_x64.8bi) of the plugin and not the x32 version.

windows 11 with photoshop 2022 (23.5)

Screenshot-(49).png

Unfortunately, after testing the save /export part of the plugin as suggested by another user, it seems the save part doesn't work in the current photoshop 2021/2022 versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you also test the export?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good catch!

I found this older thread about the plugin not being able to save in photoshop 19.1.4 and that's still the case with photoshop 2021 and 2022 on the windows side.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/jxr-plugin-generate-empty-file/m-p/98...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Found the solution, works in Photoshop 2023.

Open JXR in Photoshop:

1. Download https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=52369

2. Unzip somewhere

3. Put JPEGXR_x64.8bi in your Photoshop plugins folder (C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2023\Plug-ins)

Note: Saving as JXR results in an error, follow instructions below to re-save it:

Save As JPG:

1. Use File > Mode > 16 Bits per Channel. Click OK.

2. File > Save a copy

Save As HDR:

1. File > Save a copy

2. Save it as TIFF or EXR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines