• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opening vector file no longer shows dialogue box

Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until the last day or two, I used to open some of the vector files I have in photoshop, which would prompt me with a dialogue box in which I could select color formatting, pixel size, etc.  Now when I open a vector file, there is no dialogue box and there is lousy stryation going on with gradients and the resolution defaults to unacceptably low amounts.  How can I fix this and go back to the dialogue box that used to appear when opening vectors (AI or EPS)?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

There is a current bug in the latest version where PS is erroneously opening the attached low-res preview of EPS vector files.

It only happens if "Photoshop EPS" is the file format PS thinks the file is when you select it the Open or Place dialogs.

Either roll back one version for now, or, when you place or open, select "Generic EPS"  (instead of letting PS automatically select photoshop EPS).

As for AI files, I hear there are issues there too but I personally haven't been able to reproduce the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holding the shift key when opening via the open dialog box bypasses the options to choose artboards, etc. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I WANT the dialogue box.  I can't get it to appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that - was wondering if you shift key was stuck somehow causing the bypass.

Can you confirm that the files were saved with PDF compatible file turned on from Illustrator?

Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 9.20.58 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure.  I went into the EPS via Illustrator and did a Save As but I'm not even seeing that option in save dialogue box in Illustrator.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I save all my vector as AI native files to bring in to PS. It could be there is an issue with the EPS format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a current bug in the latest version where PS is erroneously opening the attached low-res preview of EPS vector files.

It only happens if "Photoshop EPS" is the file format PS thinks the file is when you select it the Open or Place dialogs.

Either roll back one version for now, or, when you place or open, select "Generic EPS"  (instead of letting PS automatically select photoshop EPS).

As for AI files, I hear there are issues there too but I personally haven't been able to reproduce the issue, but the answer there is also to roll back to last version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you open something as Generic EPS? I don't see that option anywhere under Open As nor Open as Smart Object.  Incidentally, it does look like AI files bring the dialogue box correctly. So I will either have to convert those EPS's to AI in Illustrator first or rollback a version as you suggested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's in the Open/Place dialogs:

If you click on an EPS it "reads" it as a Photoshop EPS (which is no different than before, but now is problematic). but you need to pull down to "Generic EPS" (in All Readable Formats if it's not showing).

Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 5.21.15 PM.png

As I said, i haven't seen the problem with .AI files that people are reporting, so not sure what's happening there yet.

Ironically, if you drag an EPS file onto the Photoshop App icon, they tend to work correctly.

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much, this worked. It happened for me for the first time today, and even happened with dragging the file to the icon.  Appreciate you taking the time to respond!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The issue has since been corrected. Update to the latest version and you should be fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines