• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OpenType features / horizontal possition of special character (accents, nikkud etc)

Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OpenType features / horizontal possition of special character (accents, nikkud etc)

I have an issue using a OpenType-Font (koren siddur from masterfont; bought the font from a regular distributer). It is a hebrew font and I has special characters for vowels/nikudim (sort of like accents in latin fonts, little more complex).

Now these character do place wrong horizontaly. They used to place correct in an earlier version I think (I don't use this too often). It does not seem to be an issue of the font as they do place horizontaly correct in LibreWriter. Other more simple hebrew font do work correctly as you can see with the example.

OpenType-Issue.jpg

I tried various setting of the character or paragraph dialogue.

Anybody any hint or idea how to fix this?

I use: Adobe Photoshop Version: 23.5.0 20220809.r.669 0e07917 x64

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2022 Sep 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great "help" from @CoryShubert just enforcing your Community Rules and locking other Postings. One cannot edit Postings oder change the subject, e.g. to Bug from Discussion. Hence you may want to spend some of you "great" effort on those issues or my question. However all you did is not help me at all. Poor service by a company's official - sorry.

I have an issue using a OpenType-Font (koren siddur from masterfont; bought the font from a regular distributer). It is a hebrew font and I has special characters for vowels/nikudim (sort of like accents in latin fonts, little more complex).

Now these character do place wrong horizontaly. They used to place correct in an earlier version I think (I don't use this too often). It does not seem to be an issue of the font as they do place horizontaly correct in LibreWriter. Other more simple hebrew font do work correctly as you can see with the example.

OpenType-Issue.jpg

I tried various setting of the character or paragraph dialogue.

Anybody any hint or idea how to fix this?

I use: Adobe Photoshop Version: 23.5.0 20220809.r.669 0e07917 x64

By @JB_FFM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KorenFontIssue.jpg

Photoshop did render this font correctly in an earlier version (I fortunately do not know which version this was). So to me this looks like a bug in Photoshop. Maybe @CoryShubert gonna look at this issue and not only lock any post?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure this helps, but can you try setting the type layer's layout to "Latin and East Asian Layout" in the context menu of the Paragraph panel? Le me know if it makes difference. Also, if you can post the test file, it would be helpful. Thanks.

Latin and East Asian Layout.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ktaki thanks for your tip. Switching to EU/Asia does not really help as I need Right-to-left (RTL) for the Hebrew. RTL is only available with World-Layout (I use Windows).

I found the old file and copied the Text-Layer into a new document. As long as I don't touch the text that specific text is ok. However if I edit the text the vowels/nikudim are placed wrong as with a new text layer. I attached a file with all the text layers - may this helps (?).

Kind regards

JB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JB_FFM I did try your test  document with couple of Open Type fonts, none of them are giving an error. Photoshop need all all the OpenType feature tables to position the marks at the right position ( mkmk, mark...etc.), please check whether the font foundary had updated this font with all needed OpenType tables.  
Still, you might be able to move around the diacritic marks using diacritic positioning feature in Photoshop.                            

Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 3.34.43 PM.png

-Vinod Balakrishnan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@VinodBalakrishnan Thank you for this tip. I did try to set the horizontal value. However this did not seem to alter anything. I tryed both a "regular" OpenType Font in Hebrew and my "problematic font". No effect at all even when I set the value to -1000 or 1000 (?). I am using the Windows Version of PS.Diakretic-None.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JB_FFM My bad, diacritic positioning will work only for Arabic marks, not implemented for Hebrew. My understanding is that modern fonts do a good job with diacritic positioning for Hebrew, If that assumption is wrong, please let me know.

-Vinod Balakrishnan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, I agree to your view that usually hebrew fonts work quite well when it comes to diacritics. However this one does not with the version of PS used but it did work with an earlier version (and does work with Libre writer). Hence it is not that this font does not work at all and it might be an issue with the font but may be an issue of rendering this font. As this font is a font from Masterfont it is not any hobbyist font but from one of the largest hebrew font companies. Furthermore Koren Siddur is a rather legendary font for printing siddurim (usually with diacritics).

However I did contact the shop which has sold the font to me. If this might bring any further information I will be glad to share.

Thank you very much so far for your help.

Greeting JB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JB_FFM wrote:

Great "help" from @CoryShubert just enforcing your Community Rules and locking other Postings.

Cory locked that post because you posted the same question three times and politely asked you to continue the discussion here in this thread. I have now locked the other one of your triplicate posts and linked to this discussion.

Forum guidelines are to not post the same question multiple times. When people do, we are asked to lock the duplicates or — in your case — triplicates.

I hope this helps.

Jane

Forum volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jane-e Great advice - I totally adore your sense of order. Thankx alot. As I am not such a professional as you seem to be, I humbly ask for your generous absolution.

It must be my failure that I cannot alter existing postings (other system however can - strange). Due to your genoursly sharing your broad knowledge of rules, helps me a lot improving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @JB_FFM 

New users can't modify posts. The forum software allows it after you've been here a while, but humans aren't quite sure what that threshold is. 😊 In the meanwhile, you can ask a moderator to  assist.

Jane

Forum volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines