• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Organizing Actions

Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have multiple actions that I want to put in one set, but I can't figure out how to do it.  I can do it with brushes, but actions no.  Could you please make it possible to organize actions?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

I've got it figured out!  It was much simpler than all of us tried to put it.  This all began when I couldn't get the new actions to nest below a new set.  I read through much of the information that was mentioned (sets - I had already created one, but I didn't know it was a "set".  Duh!  Thank you Jane.)  I decided to start over loading the actions, but this time I used the "Load Actions" in the flyout.  This pinpointed the problem.  Before, I "loaded" the actions just by clicking on the action

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create action sets, then just drag them to that set, when NOT in button mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2021 Nov 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be sure to save the action set from the Action panel menu after dragging actions into it.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have multiple actions that I want to put in one set, but I can't figure out how to do it.  I can do it with brushes, but actions no.  Could you please make it possible to organize actions?

By @Wildcat500

What is problem? What is your way of organizing actions and what does not work when trying to put actions in the same action set (folder)? Do you drag and drop actions? You must drag action, not action step. It can be useful to record short video or at least screenshot to show us what you are doing and what does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean when you say, "... when trying to put actions in the same action set (folder)?"  How can I tranfer them over in a folder?  Photoshop will only recognize them individually. 

"Do you drag and drop actions?"  No, I just click on them, and Photoshop recognizes them.

I have multiple actions that have been sent to me.  I tried to send the folder with the actions immediately under the folder but to no avail.  I put 3 actions in (just click on them one at a time while Photoshop is running), and they went in ok.  Inside of Photoshop I tried to organize them, but I couldn't.  Just for an example, I did the same thing with gradients, and when I went to put a gradient under a folder, each gradient went under with a blue box surrounding the folder when I held the gradient in the right spot.  With actions, the blue box is not there, but a blue line will appear above the folder when the action goes above the folder.  I would expect a blue box would appear like in the gradients, but it doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read through Manage actions.  I STILL don't know what a set is.  In fact, the author only ASSUMES that everybody KNOWS  what a set of actions is.  I DON'T!  He says, "You can create and organize sets of task-related actions ..."  WHAT IS A SET?!?  He then continues, "If you want to save a single action, first create an action set and move the action to the new set."  If I have 5 actions given to me by another person, how do I make a set and put them into it?  I think it would help me if I could understand that trifling little bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Wildcat500 wrote:

I read through Manage actions.  I STILL don't know what a set is.  In fact, the author only ASSUMES that everybody KNOWS  what a set of actions is.  I DON'T!  He says, "You can create and organize sets of task-related actions ..."  WHAT IS A SET?!?  He then continues, "If you want to save a single action, first create an action set and move the action to the new set."  If I have 5 actions given to me by another person, how do I make a set and put them into it?  I think it would help me if I could understand that trifling little bit.

You make a set (aka folder) by either clicking the button at the bottom of the Action panel or by using the panel menu.

To move actions, you can drag and drop them into a different set.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/actions-actions-panel.html

901E7DFF-D8C1-4685-AA30-CDBFA95AF5AC.jpeg

If you only read "manage actions", you might find the other links in the left hand panel that pertain to actions useful as well.

9D8A987F-5EF8-4017-90EF-1053206C029D.jpeg

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a container, so similarly like folder for files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't put an action set within another action set, if that's what you're trying to do. You can only put actions with in a set,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I tried to send the folder with the actions immediately under the folder but to no avail. "

As already stated, you can not create folder structure like folder inside folder. You must drag individual action into another action set (folder) and drop it.

Things are not exactly the same as in some other panels, just learn to live with that because I do not bet that anything will be changed soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, indeed, some of the presets now live inside modern panels, that allow nested folders, multiple selections, etc. While the Action panel is still more or less how it appeared in Photoshop 4.0...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"how it appeared in Photoshop 4.0"

Just like 90% of Ps. The lack of meaningful competition has allowed this app to remain so stale for so long. It's really hard for me to comprehend why the vast majority of Ps has gone untouched for so many decades. Does Adobe not understand how far behind they are compared to where they could be? Even the iPad app doesn't get it and is just reproducing the stale models and workflows that the parent app has. This saddens me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've got it figured out!  It was much simpler than all of us tried to put it.  This all began when I couldn't get the new actions to nest below a new set.  I read through much of the information that was mentioned (sets - I had already created one, but I didn't know it was a "set".  Duh!  Thank you Jane.)  I decided to start over loading the actions, but this time I used the "Load Actions" in the flyout.  This pinpointed the problem.  Before, I "loaded" the actions just by clicking on the action, and the action popped up in the Actions panel.  Well, when I officially loaded the actions with the "Load Actions" command in the flyout, it asked, "where do I get them" window.  When I got an action in the window, Photoshop told me that that action would not work, "...because the file was not compatible with this version of Photoshop!"  So, I got one of the other actions that was already in my Photoshop and tried to nest it another set.  Voila!  It worked just like I thought it should!  The answer to my question was this action should not be in the actions panel because it was not compatible.  Thanks everybody!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines