Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Over saturated picture when exporting from photoshop

New Here ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I am having trouble exporting images from photoshop. I usually edit my photos in prophoto and then convert the color space to sRGB when I export ("export as"). However, working with my desktop computer now it doesn't seem to work, and the exported image looks very over saturated. When I try the same process with my laptop the colors doesn't change this much at all. 

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

The preview you show isn't properly color managed but the final image should be. 

This is the same kind of buggy issue we see in the Print dialog too. The preview there isn't properly color managed and doesn't look right. It has been this way for years. On one hand, it should be fixed as should Export. On the other hand, one can argure it is for FPO only, so ignore it and move on. 

Personally I'm in favor of the first camp; all previews should match the previews before you use some command to sh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are working in 16bit and seem to not be using any actual color management. You will have to look into your CM settings and actually use the proof preview at the very least. Also if it worked before you need to check whether you have changed soemthing on your system recently like assigning a new monitor profile or messing with the screen settings.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I have been trying to understand color management, but find it very challenging. I did find I had different "color settings" on my laptop vs my desktop computer. On my laptop I have the setting "Europe General Purpose 3", and when I changed it on my desktop the problem was solved. Still, I am not sure I completely understand what this means?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The important thing here is the embedded document profile. As long as there is one, it will always override the working space! And that's what it should do.

Always keep your color management policies set to "preserve embedded profiles". That's the default, don't change it. Not much can go wrong with this setting - as long as there is an embedded profile.

So to sum up:

• don't change the default color settings in Photoshop
  • always embed the profile
  • forget Export for now, until they fix it. Use Save for Web
  • in SFW, check "convert" and "embed", and set Preview to "use document profile"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export's color management has been buggy for a long time, in different ways, and it still doesn't work correctly. I have the same here.

To be perfectly honest, I have given up on Export. For some reason they can't seem to get it right. I still use Save For Web, which thankfully still works as it should, and with reliable color management as long as you check the right boxes.

Normally it should display correctly as long as you have "embed color profile" checked (in addition to "convert to sRGB"). But it doesn't.

In short - use Save For Web. Check the two boxes, and also remember to set Preview to "use document profile". Then you'll be fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The preview you show isn't properly color managed but the final image should be. 

This is the same kind of buggy issue we see in the Print dialog too. The preview there isn't properly color managed and doesn't look right. It has been this way for years. On one hand, it should be fixed as should Export. On the other hand, one can argure it is for FPO only, so ignore it and move on. 

Personally I'm in favor of the first camp; all previews should match the previews before you use some command to show you a new one, but alas, they don't always do so. 

Bascially just ignore these improper previews, the actual exported document (and printed document) should be properly color managed. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines