Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Overmatter (overset) text in Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2019 Sep 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am looking for a solution on how to easily identify text boxes in Photoshop that have too much text, ie are overset. Is there a way to quickly identify them in Photoshop? Maybe a script does it? It is possible to see overset textboxes in Illustrator. Any help much appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the oveset text box will look like this in the bottom right (as opposed to a plain square in a non overset one) :

Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 12.48.38.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Grant, thanks for replying. I have a million text boxes and you only see the "plus" icon when you select the offending text box. I want to be able to see the box has overmatter by selecting all text boxes, like in Illustrator. The offending ones have a red plus icon in Illustrator. Photoshop doesn't have this feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately there will not be an elegant solution, there are a few work-arounds and possible scripting to highlight those boxes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Grant, what are they? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, you could toggle the text layers filter, select all those layers, then goto: type, click on "convert to point text". If you have any a warning box will appear. your workflow how to isolate them is up to you but i would then just deselect one layer at a time and repeat. Like I said "NOT elegant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, that is a bit of a chore when you have dozens and dozens of text layers. I was hoping for a script solution. Thanks for your efforts to help me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Photoshop is an image editor with some text capabilites.

InDesign does this best. When you have overset text anywhere in your file, it show a red circle in the status bar and says the number of errors.

clipboard_image_0.png

When you double-click to open the Preflight panel, you can click the hyperlink and InDesign will go to the page and select the frame.

clipboard_image_1.png

With "millions" of text frames, you might reconsider if PS is the best tool for the job.

Or, now that you know how ID works, put in a feature request to the PS engineers: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jane, but it has to be done in Photoshop. I just need the same capabilities as Indesign and Illustrator in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m sorry to hear that. Photoshop is not meant for text heavy documents, so there is no easy way.

Illustrator and InDesign also allow for automatic resizing of the text frames; Photoshop does not.

Did you post to the feedback link I gave you earlier?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2019 Sep 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did. We'll see if someone has a solution! Thanks for your interest on this topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would suggest all users to go vote and explain how it would help them in this thread: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-ideas/text-box-with-red-plus-sign-for-cut-off-tex...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines