• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Oversaturated on export to JPEG

Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My previous post was marked as resolved, however, I can't get it to work. I tried "Assign profile" to sRGB and also exporting as sRGB with the profile embeded. The browser still shows an over-saturated look, the same as Windows Photos here, while Photoshop displays the correct desired saturation in my case.

I don't recall ever having this problem with Lightroom FWIW.

Screenshot 2021-06-04 144630.pngScreenshot 2021-06-04 144419.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also iOS displays the oversaturated image as well, and as far as I know iOS is sRGB as well, so I don't understand what's happening at all. Any tips would be appreciated, maybe Photoshop is not displaying the proper profile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»the same as Windows Photos here«

Comparing Photoshop’s image display to Windows Photos is useless as Windows Photos is not color managed. 

You would seeem to be wasting your time if you were looking for a Color Management solution for using non-color managed applications. 

Please set the Status Bar in Photoshop to »Document Profile« and post more meaningful screenshots. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the Photos app shows the same thing as the browser, and iOS, which are color managed no? From what I understand they should be sRGB.

The document profile is sRGB IEC61966-2.1 

cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»But the Photos app shows the same thing as the browser, and iOS, which are color managed no?«

How would iOS be color managed when it is being iused for handheld devices which almost by definition are meaningless for color management? 

And which browser are you talking about exactly? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well from what I see the default color space on iOS devices is sRGB. All I'm trying to say is that Photoshop's image seems different than everywhere else I view the images, so it seems like something is off, if Photoshop is the only place that something is "correct" then that's hardly useful.

The browser is Chrome on Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you ever calibrated the device on which you run iOS? 

If not then in what meaningful way could it be color managed? (The OS may assume sRGB but the monitor displays whatever.) 

And I apoplogize, I see my search about Chrome Color Management was too superficial and it should be Color Managed after all … 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe they're already factory calibrated, iOS devices usually seem very consistent, at least from what I've seen with my phones/tablets/laptops. I'll do some more research, it just seems really confusing as *none* of them match what I see in Photoshop, which would imply sRGB is completely unsupported everywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

»I believe they're already factory calibrated, iOS devices usually seem very consistent, at least from what I've seen with my phones/tablets/laptops.«

Do you think that iPhones and iPads not only maintain truly unchanged display for years and years but that they also provide identical display across representatives of the same model and across models? 

If they do then I am impressed. 

Edit: Did some light googling and it seems smart phone models do (in some cases at least, including iPhones) indeed provide good consistency within the model and over (some) time. 

But the discrepancies between models seem to be quite noteworthy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's another example, with the document profile in the status bar this time :), and Twitter (Chrome) on the right. If they're both sRGB I don't understand why they have different tones and saturation.

Screenshot 2021-06-06 112304.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»and Twitter (Chrome) on the right. If they're both sRGB I don't understand why they have different tones and saturation.«

Screenshot 2021-06-06 at 12.44.40.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah lame, I'll see if it looks ok on Mac, they seem to generally have much better control over colors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I replied in your other thread. Don't start another thread! It leads to full confusion. Can a moderator merge these and lock the other?

Here goes again:

We've seen many cases where Chrome's color management is broken. I don't know why. It's supposed to be fully color managed and display identically to Photoshop. But sometimes it doesn't.

I use Firefox, which has always been very reliable. The only catch is that you need to go into the settings and set color management to mode 1 instead of mode 2 which is default. Mode 2 color manages correctly as long as there is an embedded profile, but not if the profile is missing. Mode 1 assigns sRGB in all scenarios, so that it always displays everything correctly.

One thing to note, however, is that browsers generally don't have multi-display support. They will use the monitor profile for your main/primary display as set in the OS, even if it's on another screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines