• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Overwrite a jpg create a copy instead

Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just updated to PS 2020 after long time with PS CC 2018. I'm on macOS Catalina. 
I have a problem in overwriting files: when I try to save an image that already exists, Photoshop asks me if I want to overwrite the file. 

Even if I confirm, it always decides to save a "namefile_copy.jpg" of it, so I find myself with two files and I have to manually erase the old one and rename the new one without the "copy", is there something to prevent the creation of a new file? I want to overwrite my existing jpg.
Thank you! 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Hi there. I found/created a fast workaround that works perfectly for me and probably for everyone else.

I used the actions-panel to solve this problem, because there is an underestimated backdoor:
The moment you create a new action (BEFORE you start recording it), you can set a keyboard-shortcut for the action.

So what ever you will record will be "launched" by simply using the given shortcut.

I recorded the following:
• "create new document from current state" in the history panel

• then: Layer-> Fl

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can download GIMP over thataway --->

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You download Gimp. I pay for photoshop. You do not need to be rude.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great answer david. They will never understand. The engineers do not even use use photoshop I think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The amount of whining about this is unreal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem on my Mac Pro with Catalina AND my iMac on Big Sur. 

This is a very annoying bug. Thanks Adobe to fix it ASAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your not addressing Adobe here. This is a Adobe Photoshop user community.  Copy is not a bugs is is done so a an automated process like a Batched Action  will not inadvertently overwrite a file.  If you use Photoshop menu file save As interactively and set into the dialog a file that exist interactively Photoshop will  asks if you want to overwrite the file which will be an option.  In an automated process like a batched Action  interactivity would stop the batch processing so Photoshop adds copy to the file name and save so] it will not overwrite your asset.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not speaking about a batched action, just a single action. To overwrite only one JPEG file who already exist.

EX.: I create a PSD file and save it as a JPEG to send it to my leader. My leader has some corrections. I make the corrections on the PSD file and then, I want to replace the JPEG file to send it back to my leader. Photoshop won't replace the JPEG file, it will create another file named JPEG_copy even if I ask him to replace the existing file.

And this is definitly a new thing with Photoshop. A very anoying thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. I found/created a fast workaround that works perfectly for me and probably for everyone else.

I used the actions-panel to solve this problem, because there is an underestimated backdoor:
The moment you create a new action (BEFORE you start recording it), you can set a keyboard-shortcut for the action.

So what ever you will record will be "launched" by simply using the given shortcut.

I recorded the following:
• "create new document from current state" in the history panel

• then: Layer-> Flatten Image (most important step, as only flattend images will overwrite existing JPGs)

• then: File->Save-As (all JPG options you are chosing are not important)

• stop recording the action.

• in the recorded action click on the folder icon next to the SAVE action. This ensures that the save-as-window will pop up where you can just click on the JPG you want to overwrite and define the quality.  

And as it's a flattend file, it will overwrite the existing JPG. 

I was used to press CMD-SHIFT-S for saving as JPG (but it didn't overwrite).

Now its CMD-SHIFT-F5 that saves and overwrites the JPGs.

I will use this as long as Adobe doesn't fix the problem.

Hope it helps you too.

action.jpg

histroy.jpg

image.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!! That works great!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the action I've added also a "select previous history state" so after I've run the action I still have all my layers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't work great for me. It's a lot of effort to fix their bug and quite frankly an extra step when one wasn't required before. I don't know why this is marked as answer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've opened the thread asking for a help in saving a jpg overwriting another one without creating a copy.
The action allows me to press a button exactly as I was pressing cmd-shitf-s, I can save and overwrite my jpg without creating a copy and I still have my layers as I left them, so yes, that's a correct answer for my problem untill adobe decides to correct the problem. 

Why a lot of effort? The action is created once and just run with a button. In daniels53766830 post is explained quite well how to create the action, I suggest to add a "select previous history state"  (just clicking the last by one line in the history tab before stopping the action) so the action runs completely invisible and I still have my layers after! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Coming up to a year since this posts was made!.. JJMack, you are an MVP, but the issue we are all having did not require any other step to overwrite a JPG file, other than telling PS to overwrite it. For me, any workaround to this issue is unnacceptable. If I tell PS to overwrite a file.. OVERWRITE THE FILE! don't creat a copy. I've been working with some pretty tight deadlines during this pandemic, and more than ONCE I've sent the wrong file because PS created a copy, instead of overwritting the JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please contact Adobe and have Adobe change Photoshop design for you for you want your files replaced Photoshop current design is unacceptable. This is a Photoshop user community we can not change  Photoshop operation. It does not matter if one is a MVP, ACP, Aministrator, Moderatot ect.  Adobe would need to change Photoshop Design perhaps add a overwrite option that can be set.  Adobe current Photoshop design is the way is it to protect users from accidentally overeating existing files.   Users here just try to help other user accomplish what they want to do.  If you find workaround unacceptable you need to work with  Adobe to have Photoshop changed. Abobe may find adding a force overwrit is unacceptable. You need Adobe assistance with your issue.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The point I was trying to make, is that you pointed out workarounds, and my point, and I guess most people's point, is that it should not require any sort of workaround, or extra steps. As far as I remember (first PS I had was 6 when I was in middle school), when PS asked if I was sure I wanted to overwrite the JPG, and I clicked Yes, thats exactly what it did, not create a copy. I am very aware this is a User Community, still one created by Adobe. I'm not saying that I expect Adobe employees to be lurking around the threads or forums, and taking notes. But I'd be surprised if someone wasn't. Then again I have waisted LONG hours with Adobe Customer support, a problem with Dynamic Links between Pr and Ae.. I had to almost do the entire project again, because the support tech, even after granting him remote control of my Mac, was not able to fix the issue. That bug is also a few years old.

I had to uninstall and basically purge my computer of everything Adobe because the Tech support guy moved/erased/copied so many Library and Preferences files that everytime I started any Adobe app, I'd get a warning message about Color Space or something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interactively Photoshop works the way you describe.I

image.png

In batch mode if the file exists Photoshop will add copy so user do not accidently overwrite file. Here is Photoshpe 2021  Save As saving a Jpg the exist.

Capture.jpg

Oh no I just destroyed my texture.  However, I still have the original open in Photoshop I can backup in history and recover..

Adobe has done many things I feel was wrong.  Some times to be more like other Adobe project.  Like braking the Line tool, place implementation, Frame tool,  change  transform behavior, changing ECS from cancel to commit text, braking Adjustment layer action support in CS4, Not fixing reported bugs.  However, in this case I'm on Adobe side.  As a dump user Thank You Adobe. As a knowledgeable user I can deal with this.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not working in batch mode, I'm working with single Ps files, and the JPGs are meant to be the "final" file. But when my boss or anyone asks for a change on the JPG, I go back to the Photoshop file, do the change, Save the Ps file, then Save As, JPG, Ps asks if I want to overwrite the JPG I already had, I click Yes, and I still get a Copy, a new file. 

Something is getting lost between us. It seems we dont understand each other, or the issue the people in this thread are having. I also dont understand your point about "I just destroyed my texture, However I still have the original open in Photoshop I can backup in history and recover" The issue is not about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using a Mac?  I do not get copy on my Windows  machine I showed you my screen captures. The file concreat.jpg was written I showed that in the file explored and displayed the updated jpeg in Chrome. I have since backed out the changes and concreat.jpg is back to

image.png

There was no COPY on my Window 10 machine.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm on a Mac OS Big Sur 11.2 (latest version).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK that could well be a Photoshop/Mac issue.  There have been so many changes in the Apple world lately. Are you ready for the M1.  I was issued a M1 when I was drafted into the US Army in 1963.  I was not ready than.  Adobe stated  they will have a native version of  Photoshop for the M1 somtime this year.   I visited Big Sur when I was in the US Army.... What a small world....

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it seems to be a MacOS/Photoshop issue. My problem is exactly the same than Oli_Donowitz. I'm working on two different Macs : a MacPro 2013 (the 'Trash bin' MacPro) at the office with Catalina and a iMac 2017 at home with Big Sur. The issue with Photoshop occurs on both Macs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File > Export > Quick Export as PNG solved this issue for my case. Hope this can help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2022 Mar 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I discovered that this happens when you save a jpg from the PSD with layers in it. If you combine all the layers (Command + E) and hit File->Save, it will replace the current jpg of the same name instead of creating a copy. If you save it having layers it will always create a copy if there is another file with the same name. Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines