Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

P: Convert to Video Timeline option missing - Apple M1 devices

New Here ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not able to select anything but "Create Frame Animation" in the Timeline. I am trying to create a Video Timeline, but not using Frame animation. This option isn't in the bottom left or top right of the Timeline menu.

I have tried resetting my preferences, uninstalling and re-installing, creating a new document, and converting all layers to smart objects, and none of those have worked. I have a macbook pro with macOS Big Sur version 11.2.3 with an Apple M1 chip.

Thank you for the help!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Community Professional , Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021
I think it's because of the M1 chip. Photoshop recently become M1 native but not all features are working yet, and this I think is one of them.  Refer to this for more info Photoshop for Apple Silicon I think for this to work you must force Photoshop to open with Rosetta. Later you can switch it back once you're done working with video.

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's because of the M1 chip. Photoshop recently become M1 native but not all features are working yet, and this I think is one of them.  Refer to this for more info Photoshop for Apple Silicon

I think for this to work you must force Photoshop to open with Rosetta. Later you can switch it back once you're done working with video.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shameful ! After the hassles with Adobe Muse, and Adobe Dimension not even being available on M1 chip anymore ... now this ?!! Adobe is shooting itself in the foot !!!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't work with Rosetta 2. This sucks. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Came here looking for the same thing, also running latest PS on a new M1 mac. Hopefully an update soon

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.

I've tried everything, uninstalling, re-installing, searching help websites... until I found this chat.
This sucks so much...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, I was shocked to find it missing. I couldn't believe such a useful feature was gone. Will have to use the timeline on the pc instead but I have been enjoying all the other features on the M1 Photoshop. I would love to see even more options included on the timeline such as smart filters, now that would make it 10,000 times more useful (I know, I could use After Effects but there are some things in Photoshop not in AE) 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very frustrating. Same exact problem on M1 Mini with latest PS 22.3.1. Apparently the fix is to downgrade to an earlier Rosetta (non-M1 native) version of PS, but I'm not sure which one? Also this is NOT listed on the "known issues" for M1 Adobe page. Please fix the issue Adobe! 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Import, Export, and playback of embedded video layers is listed as the first issue. While it does not spell out video timeline, it's related.

I completely understand it's frustrating when software doesn't work as we hope, but this is what happens when you buy transitional hardware without waiting for software to be natively supported. The same goes for new versions of an operating system which can have problems until apps are updating. We went through this before with the transition to Intel. Transitions periods take time, and to be honest this has been a pretty fast one. 

I don't have an Apple Silicon Mac to test things and help, but getting info on the Photoshop app and checking "Open with Rosetta" is the only potential fix I know of, but someone above said it doesn't work with Rosetta so I'm not sure if it actually works. Apple's Rosetta is good, but not perfect and does not work with all software.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response. On the main issue, I can confirm that, on my setup (M1 Mini / Big Sur 11.2.3 and PS 22.3.1), launching PS through Rosetta DOES re-enable video timeline, so thanks for providing this work-around. 

On the other issue,  Adobe has labeled this version of PS "native" for the M1, and there is no other version available. I understand transitions take time, so I waited for the "beta" M1 version to transition to an official release. If M1 integration was not complete, I would rather Adobe held off on making it "official," and then finding out after the fact that crucial (for me) elements of the software are not even available yet. If it was freeware I would have more patience, but for professional software at $53/month, it's not too much to expect all tools to function before moving out of "beta" stage.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I retract my previous statement. After working in the prescribed method (running PS manually through Rosetta), I've suffered 3 program crashes in the last 90 minutes, even with relatively uncomplicated files (with timeline animation and without), so I would say this is a completely unstable way to run PS. (The first crash cost me a ton of work.) As of now in my own experience there's no stable way to get timeline animations on PS for M1 macs.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey!! do you continue to have issues with the constant crashing using Rosetta 2 version?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, just not using the timeline. I prefer to work with the M1 version and not via Rosetta. I can always work with the timeline on my PC instead. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opening in rosseta on an M1 macbook air, it does technically re-enable the feature in photoshop. However, when trying to save out a video to gif, it tells me there is not enough memory(on a 16g/512g configuration). So the re-enabling of the feature is kinda pointless, in that it just ads it back to the menu, but is of little practical use. I tried installing an earlier intel version, but the effect is the same(although the error message is not specific, instead saying unknown). I'm not sure of the technicallities, but there's obviously some kind of issue in that the export can't access the available RAM from m1 chip.  

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg, what it the size of the video, both in resolution and lenght?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - 72dpi 1080x1920.
For instagram stories.
Same will be required for video posts at 1080x1080
This doesn't seem onerous to me?
I probably won't need the gif versions in the end and the video exports
from AE will be fine, but it is useful to have this option for other
digital assets based off same campaign.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry forgot to ad - length is 10 seconds

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With how many frames per second? SFW was made long time ago, when the screens had lower resolutions, and one did not try to convert videos to Gifs... 

Does it work at lower resolution/lenght?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not tried this out. When working on the intel versions or the rosseta enabled version, they are also very slow and lag quite a bit( previewing is prety much impossible). So fiddle with settings (reducing colours, spec etc) feels tedious. But I'm not sure what the point woukd be to output something at a lower than desired resolution, and in this case I can't reduce the length of the sequence - it takes 10 seconds to tell the story. Hopefully adobe will have an update that can work on silocon chips soon - in meantime outputting video straight from after effects will work fine for this project. I gotta move on to the next! 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Timeline video is still not working on May 20 with latest releases, very frustrating for me too, was hoping for productivity and speed improvements from the new computer, instead can't work on my timeline projects at all. They should have publicised this major missing component in the software. Also cannot output previous timeline video files.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frame animation ... argh, never use it - M1 definitely needs the video timeline feature. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh, just got a new work computer with the M1 chip and am having this exact issue. Can no longer use the timeline feature to create .mp4 files as the button is greyed out and there is no way to toggle to the "video timeline" from the Timeline window, which means there is no way to export as a video file. Huge bummer. After Effects is too convoluted for the kind of simple GIF videos I need to make... Adobe, please fix ASAP! 😞

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just in case it helps anyone else, you can actually disable the current version and download the oldest available version of PS from CC and that has re-enabled this feature for me. Hopefully they fix it before I am forced to update to a newer version.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least with M1 Macs, in my experience this is not a viable option. I downgraded to the pre-M1 PS and it was completely unstable. Had 4 crashes in the course of a day. Moved back to newer the non-timeline M1-native version and crashes stopped. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I changed it back to the updated version after I finished that project. The new PS is super glitchy on my new computer too.. :'( The whole screen glitches constantly and oftentimes I can't even see what i'm working on.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines