• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Convert to Video Timeline option missing - Apple M1 devices

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not able to select anything but "Create Frame Animation" in the Timeline. I am trying to create a Video Timeline, but not using Frame animation. This option isn't in the bottom left or top right of the Timeline menu.

I have tried resetting my preferences, uninstalling and re-installing, creating a new document, and converting all layers to smart objects, and none of those have worked. I have a macbook pro with macOS Big Sur version 11.2.3 with an Apple M1 chip.

Thank you for the help!

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.4. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here.

To update Photoshop to 23.4, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected, and share your feedback.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 860 Replies 860
860 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opening in rosseta on an M1 macbook air, it does technically re-enable the feature in photoshop. However, when trying to save out a video to gif, it tells me there is not enough memory(on a 16g/512g configuration). So the re-enabling of the feature is kinda pointless, in that it just ads it back to the menu, but is of little practical use. I tried installing an earlier intel version, but the effect is the same(although the error message is not specific, instead saying unknown). I'm not sure of the technicallities, but there's obviously some kind of issue in that the export can't access the available RAM from m1 chip.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, @billm19179255 how can you be sure? the Desktop background?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg, what it the size of the video, both in resolution and lenght?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - 72dpi 1080x1920.
For instagram stories.
Same will be required for video posts at 1080x1080
This doesn't seem onerous to me?
I probably won't need the gif versions in the end and the video exports
from AE will be fine, but it is useful to have this option for other
digital assets based off same campaign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry forgot to ad - length is 10 seconds

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With how many frames per second? SFW was made long time ago, when the screens had lower resolutions, and one did not try to convert videos to Gifs... 

Does it work at lower resolution/lenght?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just ran a quick experiment on my friends brand new MacBook Pro (very nice) running Photoshop CC2022. Tried to import a 10 second .mov to convert into a .gif

The option to import video into Photoshop CC2022 seems to have been removed.

The same .mov file imports fine in Photoshop CC2021.

Is this another Adobe 'Improvement'? Can anyone help me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response. 

Unfortunately running Rosetta defeats the object of buying a new speedier laptop to convert videos to gifs more quickly.

Thanks Adobe for not fully supporting the new Apple M1 chips!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Adobe for not fully supporting the new Apple M1 chips!

I am not an Adobe employee so I don’t know the timelines of product development and hardware/os availability to developers but do you think that such issues might, in some small way, also depend on Macintosh? 

If your primary use of Photoshop is video editing I wonder if After Effects or Premiere might not be a better fit. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thought that you were an Adobe employee never crossed my mind.

Apple may well be in some small part to blame, although I can't help thinking, that when everythnig worked fine in the previous version, why Adobe couldn't wait a little longer and then release a new version, in which all the previous features that have been lauded, were still working. It seemed to me they were scratching around for new features in the latest release anyway - why not wait until all the bugs are ironed out and everythnig worked?

You are correct in saying that Premiere and After Effects would be 'a better fit', except for the fact that I don't use those apps. So I'm guessing I would need to invest many hours learning to how to use them, when all I wanted to do was open a mov file and save it as a gif - seems like a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"when all I wanted to do was open a mov file and save it as a gif"

I'm not a MAC user but would something like this suit your needs, I'm sure if you done a Google search you could find more alternatives

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/gifski/id1351639930?mt=12

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help, googleing alternatives was going to be what I did next!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not tried this out. When working on the intel versions or the rosseta enabled version, they are also very slow and lag quite a bit( previewing is prety much impossible). So fiddle with settings (reducing colours, spec etc) feels tedious. But I'm not sure what the point woukd be to output something at a lower than desired resolution, and in this case I can't reduce the length of the sequence - it takes 10 seconds to tell the story. Hopefully adobe will have an update that can work on silocon chips soon - in meantime outputting video straight from after effects will work fine for this project. I gotta move on to the next! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@originalpixel wrote:

... although I can't help thinking, that when everythnig worked fine in the previous version, why Adobe couldn't wait a little longer and then release a new version,

Hi

I don't work for Adobe, but one possible reason is that earlier versions (which are still available) are not compatible with Apple's M1 chip. In your opinion, would it be better to leave M1 users stranded until all features are working natively? In my opinion, that seems harsh.

3307498F-96E1-49A5-AA8C-127C042E4CDF.jpeg

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

23.0.2 update and still the same

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently Photoshop hasn't been completely ported to M1 yet. You have to run Photoshop in Intel emulation mode under Rosetta 2 in order for this to work.

1. Find the Photoshop app in the Applications -> Photoshop folder

2. Command-i to get information

3. Check the box next to Open using Rosetta

4. Cry because you just spent a lot of money on a new Macbook Pro hoping you could video edit in Photoshop faster and now you can't

This means it will run slower. I was excited about using Photoshop on my new MacBook Pro with the M1 Max, but now I might have to edit my videos on my old intel system. Hopefully Adobe will add video support to Photoshop on M1 soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: Photoshop crashed while I was trying to render the video using Rosetta emulation on the M1 MBPro. I am now transferring the videos back to my old Intel MBPro. Waiting for Adobe to fix support for the M1...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this! Opening Photoshop in Rosetta worked for me.... (so frustrating, but glad there is a workaround).  Hopefully Adobe will resolve this in a future update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello, I am using macOS big sur, M1. I updated to photoshop version 23.0.2, there is no video animation option on the timeline. I wonder if the problem is me or has this feature been completely removed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To use Photoshop's video features on an M1 Mac you will need to open Photoshop under Rosetta. See the link below:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-for-apple-silicon.html

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211861

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you but i can't download rosetta, i couldn't find how to do it 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Esra G 

To install Rosetta, see these directions from Apple:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211861

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok i understand that but when i use the programs it doesn't ask such a thing. I don't have a problem using photoshop either. There is no video animation in photoshop, I need to use it, but it didn't work. How can I download rosetta? is there a different way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you help me? I couldn't 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate