• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: How to export to SVG from Photoshop?

Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a PS file that has text that I converted to a shape, plus another shape. I want to convert that to an SVG file, but, when I use the Explort As dialog, the only export file options are GIF, PNG and JPG. If I do Save As, the only options are Photoshop, Large Document Format, Photoshop PDF, and TIFF. 

I searched the help system, there's nothing there that I can find. Did they remove SVG export from Photoshop?? I sure hope not. I have Photoshop 22.4.3. 

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Hi everyone,

I understand how difficult it must be not to be able to export into an SVG format through Photoshop. However, I wanted to suggest trying Adobe Express as a possible solution for converting your images into the desired format: https://www.adobe.com/express/feature/image/convert/svg?cgen=JQVGW3QK&mv=other

I genuinely hope this helps in your work. Let us know your feedback.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Hi all,

Export to SVG format functionality discontinued from Photoshop 22.5 version in August'2021 last year. This feature in Photoshop has always been experimental and discontinued due to low usage and limitations.

If you still want to export your Photoshop document as SVG, you can follow any of these workarounds here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/export-artboards-layers.html#discontinue-export-as-svg

For Apple M1 users: Open Photoshop using Rosetta and ensure Preferences > tec

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 251 Replies 251
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Boom that was it.  TY Jeff.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's a sly way to get more subs to different Adobe applications; like Illustrator. Why else make an official stance to use a worse method (Adobe Express) rather than something that worked if people to knew what they were doing.

I constantly see graphic designers that make a living uploading icons and clipart say the PS SVG save feature was bad, because it gave them problems uploading work (which only happens when it wasn't made properly). But they have no clue of SVGs' full capabilities and assume everyone in the industry has the same needs as them. I used it for many diverse SVGs such as; animation, interactive, SEO powered etc. Adobe removing the feature seems to be a money grab and doesn't make sense when considering functionality of the program. 

I'm glad you had your question answered BTW. Sorry, my soultion doesn't work for you. If you have any questions please feel to ask and I'll help look into it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a neat theory, but the truth is much simpler: SVG is a vector format, and Photoshop is a pixel-based raster editor with very limited vector capabilities, none of them intended for final output.

Illustrator is Adobe's vector editor, and that's where SVG belongs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a neat deflection, ignoring everything said in its totality. Limiting PS function when it was working for lot's of people is regressive. Explain why they are officailly telling people to use Adobe Express for SVGs now if you don't have Illustrator. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are not Adobe employees and we have no sway over their decisions. We can mostly answer how and what questions but not why questions. The fact here is that SVG export has been removed and presumably is not coming back. You'll need to use a different tool. I wonder if it has to do with Adobe moving to Metal and DirectX12, if SVG output was easy to do under their oldered imaging engine. Regardless, you'll need to use a different tool (Illustrator, Adobe Express, the free Inkscape, etc.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I recall correctly it was the whole Export code that was replaced (hence "legacy export").

In any case, this is clearly a case of getting the toothpaste back in the tube - very much like when they introduced direct save to jpeg in CS5. When one day it's no longer possible due to outside changes, it blows up.

SVG should never have been in Photoshop to begin with. A vector format, with expected vector content, causes nothing but misuse in a raster application, because, let's just say it right out, most people have no idea what the difference is or why it matters. So you get all these SVGs out there with raster content - files that should have been PNGs.

We've had plenty of posters here who think that saving out as SVG magically turns it into vector data.  That's just a fact.

And sometimes it's necessary to educate people. There is such a thing as good working practices, and bad ones. Someone has to say it. That never wins you any popularity contests, but my hope is that eventually the facts will gain some traction.

SVG belongs in Illustrator, not Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually the above solution did work for my problem but Rosetta seems to slow my mac down significanlty so its a switch on when you need it sort of thing.  

I see your point D Fosse. Technically what you say makes perfect sense.  However from a my user experience, taking out this one feature force me to learn Illustrator which is just a time suck that I just can't afford ATM.  It doesn't have anyting to do with working practices.   I had entire actions built around this pipeline in Photoshop then they just nixed it with no real communication.  Weather it should have been in there or not doesn't really matter. What matters is they gave users something then took it away, which is just bad form and the fact they just acted like it didn't tell anyone makes it seem like they just don't care.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with this is that the feature was partially broken. That eventually comes back around and is a big problem. Adobe just really doesn't have a good fix.

However... let me make a prediction here... within a few years, AI will be able to do almost perfect pixel to vector conversions in seconds. The AI will iteratively write SVG or PostScript or PDF or whatever new vector format is out until the best match is found. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

False: Photoshop uses vectors for paths, shapes, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop uses vectors for paths, shapes, etc.

By @nomasprime

=========

Temporarilly, until the file's saved in PSD.

Math-based vectors cannot co-exist with pixel-based rasters. Nor do they remain vectors in pixel-based files -- PSD, TIFF, JPG, WEBP, PNG, GIF, etc...

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, not true: the psd will store whatever info it needs, including vector related data to render shapes (wouldn't be surprised if this code's pulled from Illustrator); it will be rasterized on exporting to a raster-based format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stand by what I said earlier: SVG should never have been introduced in Photoshop. It was a huge mistake. But now the damage is done.

The point isn't what may or may not be possible. The point is what the average user will do with it. And we know what the average user will do with it: they will export SVGs with raster content. That's a problem, because it makes life more difficult for a lot of other people who can't use these files, and may need to spend a lot of time and work correcting these mistakes.

That makes SVG in Photoshop hugely counter-productive and problematic.

So again: SVG belongs in Illustrator, not Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So again: SVG belongs in Illustrator, not Photoshop.

By @D Fosse

========

100% 👍 👍 👍

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SVG's a vector format and some elements in Photoshop are vectors. I can't see how being able to export like to like is contentious in any way. 

No idea who the average user is and what they're doing. But, judging by multiple threads all over the internet, it was a perfectly valid workflow for many users, especially in software/web development.

Adobe's oversight's broken that workflow. Worst case, if they weren't on the full Creative Suite plan, they're now expected to pay several times what they're already paying for one feature that was removed.

So, again, it's an easily understandable and valid grievance for many.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 years and 10 pages of discussion doesn't change how things are.

If you don't have Illustrator, there are other vector graphics apps you can use  -- freeware, payware & online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is another way to save SVG files out of photoshop by using Generate>Image Assets.

Just add .svg to the layer(s) names you want to save as svg files, go to Generate and click on Image Assets, then save you files as a .psd and a folder with the svgs named assets will be saved in the same location.

If File>Generate is greyed out, go to the photoshop Preferences>Plugins and check Enable Generator

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/generate-assets-layers.html

sv.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2023 Jul 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great solution!!!!

A jack-of-all-trades is a master of none, but often times better than a master of one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 23, 2023 Dec 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Unlike those arrogant moderators, you acutally proved a workaround.
This saved my work. I could export my created path this way. It's clumsy and annoying but it works - Blender shows my SVG correctly. Thank you!

Just another reason for me to disable automatic update, before they remove this feature as well.

_______
I miss the old Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blender shows my SVG correctly.
Just another reason for me to disable automatic update, before they remove this feature as well.

By @Ralle1990

Two things:

1. I am not skilled with Blender, but I have been able to copy a path from Illustrator and paste it into Blender. Have you tried that in Photoshop? (I have not.)

2. You can have multiple versions of Photoshop. You might want to keep an older version in addition to the newer one. ProDesign Tools has direct downloads to some older versions and they will work with your paid subscription.

https://prodesigntools.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2023 Jul 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mohit's solution works, but I'd like to be able to control the size of the SVG that gets exported.

A jack-of-all-trades is a master of none, but often times better than a master of one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2023 Sep 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yet another reason to quit Adobe....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2023 Sep 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yet another reason to quit Adobe....

By @BrucePB

============

And use what? 

I defy you to name a currently active pixel-based image editor that can save files as math-based vectors. 😕

Different tools have different tasks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stop removing basic functionality in an attempt to get us to use even MORE of your bloated overpriced software suite.
Adobe, destroyers of workflows in search of pushing more and more convuluted software.

Such an incredibly dissapointing company on pretty much every front.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stop removing basic functionality in an attempt to get us to use even MORE of your bloated overpriced software suite.

By @username321123

========

Photoshop was NEVER a math-based vector graphics tool.  It has always been a pixel-based image editor.

Trying to put a square peg into a round hole never works out well.  When you need a math-based vector graphic, use a math-based vector graphics tool. You'll find plenty of options (free & paid) online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fully agreeing with you here username321123
No matter how hard Nancy es defending this unacceptable company policy. This "Was never supposed to be" doesn't change the fact that it was there and working perfectly for me! We do not ask for you to allow exporting of pixelfiles as svg, but the heck, PATHS with anchor points etc. ARE vectors! Bring that feature back!

_______
I miss the old Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines