Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

P: Photoshop 2021: Weird Brush size animation very slow using keyboard (Windows)

Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I'm posting a question again. There are many people who go through the same phenomenon as me.

I'll tell you exactly what the problem is first.

Like you and I know when we want change brush size, press keyboard shortcut [ + ].

No matter how long I press, the size of the brush should change. Because it's always been like that.

But if you look at the attached picture below, there are many differences.

photoshop2015 brushsize change.gif

in photoshop2015.5 * very smooth, It changes and shows exactly how much I press.

photoshop2021 brushsize change.gif

in photoshop2021 * something wrong. You can only see the first and last brush changes in size. In the middle, it appears to be slow (or broken) as if there is a delay.

Someone says. Why don't use a drag shortcut(Alt + Mouse Rightclick and drag)?

Yes. I know that. However, use keyboard is more comfortable to me. And as you can see from the attached photos of Photoshop2015.5, it's very soft as like drag shortcut.

brush panel is not important and turn off already.

i tried many things. Check this first..

1. Reinstall Photoshop2021, Reset Setting Pref.

2. Tried other version(2020, 2019,2018). But the same. *But funny thing is... My main workflow takes almost in photoshop2019. And A few months ago, I used to use it smoothly and well without this delay

3. Reinstall GPU nvidia Driver, and tried other every version. But same results.

4. So... I Reinstall Windows10(Clean install from microsoft, Not recovery) * I think I've formatted it about six times so far. 😃

My computer is no problem. It's new.

Ryzen5600x, Ram64GB, 2070Super GPU, Nvme SSD, Windows10

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-2018-brush-size-animation-very-slow...

I saw this post, and he tried 2015.5, works well.

So... What should I do now?..

* Is there a solution I can try? (like turning off some settings, changing the registry...

Why do I have to feel this slow brush change speed with my good computer specification when I've become a version-up paying monthly subscription fee?

{Title edited by moderator - PS-72737}

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frame 10

image.png

Frame 11

image.png

I've turned on all 40 layers here, and set them to Lighten and you can see there are only four steps in size for the ellipse.

image.png

Did you make the layers?  Did you use Make frames from layers to make the frame animation?  We can (I) can tell you how to produce the layers and make the animation with smooth steps if you need advice.  

Actually I am going to say more than four steps because the lines are quite thick in some areas.  If we zoom in we can see probably seven steps.  There should be 20 steps, because the last 20 frames are the same as the first 20 frames in reverse, buit you knew that. 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh,...   LOL I didn't read your post properly, and I can see you are actually concerned about brush change size.  I'll have a closer look

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

😃 LOL

I understand.

I think there's something I don't know......

It's not the problem with my computer that's for sure. And I don't think it's even Windows10' problem.

Well, all I can think of is that there's been a difference in the version since Photoshop 2015.5.... What's that?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. We've asked engineering to take a look at this.

Senior Product Manager - Customer Advocacy - Digital Imaging

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope it's settled.
What I can tell you for sure is a mysterious delay that has occurred since 2015.5 version.

I tested all the versions.(2017,2018,2019,2020,2021...)

And Only version 2015.5 survived...

Now, I have no choice but to use 2019. (Because 2018 doesn't fully support HiDPI, 2019 is faster than 2021. Of course, it's much slower than 2015.5).... =(

Please let me know if there is any change. I've been waiting for years.
And if I can change any file in the Photoshop folder or modify the registry to fix this phenomenon, I would really appreciate it if you could tell me the answer.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2021 Jul 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

I posted a question a while ago, but I'm writing again because I didn't get a satisfactory answer.

As you can see from the GIF file, you can only see the beginning and end of the brush by pressing down on the [,] keyboard shortcut and changing the size of the brush. I can't see the change in the middle, but it's cut off. (Lag..? Delay?)

Some people say. You can't keep up with the keyboard. That's what they say. That's exactly what it wasn't. The brush has always changed in size as smoothly as I'm pressing it.
And I know because I'm a professional change of size through right-click. But I prefer to use a keyboard.

The size adjustment of the brush is smooth in liquify. If you adjust it like this in Photoshop, it looks like that.

Does anyone know why and how to fix?

The list below is what I've tried.

1. Reset all setting

2. Re-installing 2019, 2021

3. Reinstall Window10,,,,

4. update gpu driver

5. change gpu

I'm writing it down in advance because I think someone will say that my computer specification is not good. And it was adjusted very smoothly on my computer until last week. Please don't conclude that it's the way it is.

windows10 21h1, ryzen5600x, rtx2070super, ram32g

photoshop2019,2021 Both are the same problem. Updating to the latest version is also not a solution.

Somebody help me.

Few years ago, I've seen someone like me on Reddit who goes through this all of a sudden. There must be a solution.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say "Change GPU" - Photoshop does not do well with two active Graphics Cards.

See this page on configuring with two (or more) graphics cards:

Configuring computers with multiple graphics cards. 

Kevin Stohlmeyer Adobe Community Professional/Adobe Certified Instructor

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. not two GPU.

i mean, 

I wasn't using two GPUs, I was using 1060 before. And I thought it might be a problem with the graphics card, so I updated the driver and changed the graphics card to 2070. Please read it properly.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did read it properly and you stated:

4. update gpu driver

5. change gpu

You did not give specifics until your response.

Kevin Stohlmeyer Adobe Community Professional/Adobe Certified Instructor

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

Previous GPU : 1060 3gb works well.

and As I think about it now, it's not a problem with graphics cards. Because it worked well back then, but it suddenly changed one day.

Now GPU : 2070 super 8g

GPU driver was Feb, this year from nvidia.

And i tried update every month... and back orginal.. but not work anymore.

i don't understand this happen...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I have the same problem and none of the solutions I have seen work for me. Did you find a solution? 😞

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

few days ago, I posted a new post.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem/p-photoshop-2021-weird-brush-size-animation-very-...

The only solution is to use "Photoshop 2015.5".

or if you using 2k or 4k HighDpi Monitor, have to use 2019... 2018 is support Hidpi, But it's not perfect..Ofcourse 2019 is brush slow =(

I'm using BenQ's 4k monitor, and I have no choice but to use 2019 now....

About Brush Change delay ....Honestly, I almost gave up.

And Funny thing is.... When you press hold [ + ] for change brush size, it's delay. Right?
But Try moving your mouse while pressing the keyboard the same way.

And then you can see brush changing. It's very weird... =(

After years of pondering and looking into this problem, it is not a user's problem.

Not Hardware problem, Not Winows's problem , Not Setting, driver things problem...

Just Photoshop's Problem after 2015.5 version.........

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines